No announcement yet.

Chassis prep / Sand, grit blasting etc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chassis prep / Sand, grit blasting etc?

I need to get my chassis, axles, links, bashplates etc prepped for paint and powder coating but not sure whether to go about it the long way of using a wire brush on a grinder and sand paper or bit the bullet and get everything blasted clean for paint.

Has anyone had this done? How much did it cost? and are there any other suggestions for how I can get all the old rust off quickly and easily so I can get on with paint and start to actually rebuild my truck!

Also contemplated a DIY kit ie something like a Sealey SB993 - any advice or experiences of DIY blasting would be appreciated.

Why not look for a body shop somewhere that can acid dip it ?

Comment

Local blasters quoted no more than 150.00 went back to the guy who is painting the chassis for me and he said he would do it all for 75.00!! At least if he does it its all being done at the same place and time.

I will prob still take all the little bits such as links and arms to the blasters as dont think that will cost me much - and it fits in the boot of the clio.

Comment

Unless you've got a very big compresser don't bother with a DIY kit.They use air like it's going out of fashoin.
        We do sand blasting on the stone facades here,to clean them up for repointing.It's a horrible job in the suit,which you must wear,because the sand hurts.It costs me €130 to rent a tow along diesel compressor and a 40 KG sand hopper for the day plus the cost of the sand.In my opinion £150 sounds like a good deal and £75 even better!

Look forward to seeing it done

Regards

Mark

Comment

I believe "Karcher" (or whatever) do a sand blasting kit for a pressure washer but it'll prob cost a fortune and take a year to do properly, the deal you got seems the best option, as said ya need a big comp for a good grit/sand blaster, i used to shot blast gas main joints on william press, prior to encapsulation, this was just after the conversion, looked like the urban spaceman with all the protective kit on, we used silica grit, hurt like a bstd if you caught a bit, dam good at blasting tho
          Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Think Ill get someone else to do the messy stuff - I thought it might be expensive but on actually speaking to people its pretty reasonable considering the ammount of hassle saved and time!

Hows things Popeye? Saw your truck outside machine mart the other day when I popped in to have a look around but didnt see you in there.

Comment

I'm fine mate, cant remember what i did yesterday let alone last week, i probably got out and they found me and brought me back
              your certainly going to town on this truck, i'll have to pop along and have a look sometime, are you painting the chassis or getting it galvanised?, chap who lived near me a while back had a nice ex-military defender 90 with a galvanised chassis, very nice truck
              Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Its being fully stripped any pinholes or pits filled and smoothed then its getting full rust prevention / treatment before two pack black being applied.

The difficult bit will be not damaging it when i start putting things back together again!! at least if its painted rather than powder coated any marks / chips can be blown over quickly.

Unfortunately the truck isnt looking particularly impressive at the moment but very soon it'll start to get put back together again. Ive got all my suspension and brake parts apart from shocks. Everything will be new including the nuts and bolts. Even got my rear disc conversion pretty much sorted.

Hoping to have it rolling on its chassis with the V8 engine at home on its mounts by Christmas.

Comment

Working...
                X