Long term storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long term storage

If storing up a vehicle for several months under cover, are there any sort of precautions one should take reference batteries, tyres, fuel system etc. Thanks.

put it up on axel stands so not to flat spot the tyres.
    When i was laid up for a few months i just had the truck lifted on axel stands but once a week fired the truck up just to keep things running smooth
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
      put it up on axel stands so not to flat spot the tyres.
      When i was laid up for a few months i just had the truck lifted on axel stands but once a week fired the truck up just to keep things running smooth
      Where the truck is being stored, there is a small area where I can drive it without going on a public road and was thinking for moving it at least once a month if there was an issue with long term storage and not using it.
      We are thinking of getting a lease vehicle which has a minimum 3 year contract however we do not know what will be happening at the end of the lease which is why we prefer to keep the Surf as it is used at present to tow our caravan. The lease vehicle is a bit more economical than the Surf and has an electronic handbrake which will help with the arthritis in my hands.

Comment

Where are you storing it Pete? Ridgeway is quite reasonable pricewise - and you could put it in an ISO there!
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
          Where are you storing it Pete? Ridgeway is quite reasonable pricewise - and you could put it in an ISO there!
          We are considering either Ridgeway as we know Malcolm or our garage, but the garage is so full of "junk" we don't know where to put the junk if we take it out of the garage! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Surf01 View Post
            thinking for moving it at least once a month if there was an issue with long term storage and not using it.
            Personally,I think when you start her,unless you get the whole engine box,and exhaust system properly up to temperature you can do more harm than good.If it's started and run for a short period then condensation can form!
            I have an MG midget that goes for months untouched,especially in the winter,and always starts and goes no problem!!

Regards

Mark

Comment

I tend to agree, our Westfield 7 hibernates for 6 months of the year, and has never had any issues each summer when it's used.

The only thing I might do on a heavy truck with big tyres is leave it on axle stands so the tyres don't flat spot, or cause cracks if one goes flat slowly. but even thats probably being fussy.

The only thing that dosn't like being left for months is the battery, think about a solar trickle charger, and I wouldn't leave a truck for long thats had Veg oil in recently.
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Agreed re: veg. If it has had veg in I would run a tank of straight diesel through it before storing.

Comment

Working...
                X