Netflix or Lovefilm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netflix or Lovefilm

Could any of you offer any advice or personal recommendations,especially with regards to picture quality,buffering,Oh and library choices?

Not that concerned at the moment about the game or movie rental by post aspect of the services.

I have had a look at both websites and obviously they concentrate on the benefits.

My download speed is 48.8Mb.
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

I use Lovefilm through the PS3 for free, and subscribe for the the monthly dvd/bluray postage option. Pre BT Infinity we had a few streaming issues that made you go f**k it and 'go do something less boring instead'.

The streaming quality is well below HD, but when you can't be arsed moving from the sofa, we have always found something to watch.

I have never used Netflix, but have heard from others that it offers more TV series whilst Lovefilm is only just starting to.

A versus review between the two:

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/tv-accesso...best-50006931/
    Last edited by DavidB; 1 September 2012, 22:43.

Comment

i got both through my xbox360, and untill last week i preffered lovefilm, but then i found out how to access the american library on netflix and i now have so many films and tv progs to choose from i will be getting rid of love film,
      i only have the streaming version of both (no posted dvd's) but so many in the american library i dont need the dvd's lol.
      an example of the difference, uk horror library on netflix = 80 films
      american netflix = 1680 films

go for netflix and i will give you the instructions to get the american library

Comment

If there were decent films other than Pixarlike fecking animated shite, or anything beyond people being pulled at high speed by ropes around 'haunted houses' that would be worth renting.

By post, by download and by cinema, we are hostage to the 'merkins lowest common denominator entertainment at the moment - or maybe our transatlantic cousins are happy with said mindless shit. There hasn't been a film I've wanted to watch in ages, so I certainly wouldn't sign up to paying someone money monthly to watch the shite currently regurgitated by Hollywood.

Save your money for beer.
        Last edited by Apache; 2 September 2012, 01:36.
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Axsor100 View Post
          i got both through my xbox360, and untill last week i preffered lovefilm, but then i found out how to access the american library on netflix and i now have so many films and tv progs to choose from i will be getting rid of love film,
          i only have the streaming version of both (no posted dvd's) but so many in the american library i dont need the dvd's lol.
          an example of the difference, uk horror library on netflix = 80 films
          american netflix = 1680 films

I bet you just change your XBOX's regional setting to USA? I did this once, can't remember why, and it has some interesting effects.

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
          Could any of you offer any advice or personal recommendations,especially with regards to picture quality,buffering,Oh and library choices?

Not that concerned at the moment about the game or movie rental by post aspect of the services.

I have had a look at both websites and obviously they concentrate on the benefits.

My download speed is 48.8Mb.
          Download speed can sometimes be a smoke and mirrors. For a family of four you don't really need any more than 8mb download speed wth normal usage. An equally important if not more important factor is your upload bandwidth. You should aim for around 1mb or more (you probably have this with your 48mb!). When you have a standard ADSL home type 300kb upload, you get a strange effect that you max out this tiny bandwidth and therefore your ability to request more data chunks from the stream are restricted and are lost. Concequently your downloads suffer.

Another thing is that ADSL providers always try and give you the highest speed attainable for your package. This has the negative effect of consistent ADSL sync drops when under high utilisation i.e. downloading. It's always worth you calling them when this happens and telling them to drop the ADSL sync to a stable level. This will drop your download speed back by around 0.5mb but you will have internet non-stop and stable for weeks rather than hours.
          Also, don't use wireless for streaming.
          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by Axsor100 View Post

Would be interesting to see the difference?

Originally posted by Apache View Post
            If there were decent films other than Pixarlike fecking animated shite, or anything beyond people being pulled at high speed by ropes around 'haunted houses' that would be worth renting.

By post, by download and by cinema, we are hostage to the 'merkins lowest common denominator entertainment at the moment - or maybe our transatlantic cousins are happy with said mindless shit. There hasn't been a film I've wanted to watch in ages, so I certainly wouldn't sign up to paying someone money monthly to watch the shite currently regurgitated by Hollywood.

Save your money for beer.
            We watched the new Batman film the other day that was fairly entertaining .
            Cinéma vérité seems to be the norm for a lot of offerings but I guess you love or hate it.

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
            I bet you just change your XBOX's regional setting to USA? I did this once, can't remember why, and it has some interesting effects.

Download speed can sometimes be a smoke and mirrors. For a family of four you don't really need any more than 8mb download speed wth normal usage. An equally important if not more important factor is your upload bandwidth. You should aim for around 1mb or more (you probably have this with your 48mb!). When you have a standard ADSL home type 300kb upload, you get a strange effect that you max out this tiny bandwidth and therefore your ability to request more data chunks from the stream are restricted and are lost. Concequently your downloads suffer.

Another thing is that ADSL providers always try and give you the highest speed attainable for your package. This has the negative effect of consistent ADSL sync drops when under high utilisation i.e. downloading. It's always worth you calling them when this happens and telling them to drop the ADSL sync to a stable level. This will drop your download speed back by around 0.5mb but you will have internet non-stop and stable for weeks rather than hours.
            Also, don't use wireless for streaming.
            Is there an english version? My only reply would be I get 5Mb upload I watched a film last night in HD and it played ok?
            Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Working...
            X