Boots and Bearings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boots and Bearings?

Oh dear, the passenger side outer front wheel bearing has disintergrated, just a bunch of shrapnel in there, thought i heard some strange noises over the last week!! ordered some new ones and also the cv boots as the inner n/s has been split for ages, i have searched for a write up and got one from the Aus site but any other tips or advise on replaceing the boots would be most welcome,
    i aint properly read the how to yet and as i understand it it can be done without removeing a wishbone, correct? just couldn't see how that was possible but that might be made clear on a closer read,

the wobbley hub and a loose spring in the n/s rear drum is i think the cause of the bad braking of late!! so new shoes and cylinders and fitting kit stuff all done and bled through, just the fron pads to do when i sort this boots shoit out
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Had my drive shaft out not too long ago as I had a horrendous noise,on the front, turned out to be the bearing. You can get it out without removing a wishhone but it was awkward.

Heres how I did it.

Remove wheel
    Remove caliper ( I did this to check them may not be necessary)
    Strip down the outer bearing
    Then remove the 6 nuts that hold the shaft to the diff (used an impact gun)
    Next I removed the track rod from the hub, wouldnt come out otherwise
    Then you can lean the hub and pull the shaft towards you to get it off of the studs on the diff side
    Then awkwardly play with it and it will come out just through the gap,between the lower wishbone and the diff. Its dam fiddly and fairly tight but will come out

My inner grease cap poped off and made a mess so be prepared for that. And have new grease to hand.

Hope this is of some use
    well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

Originally posted by muddle View Post
      Had my drive shaft out not too long ago as I had a horrendous noise,on the front, turned out to be the bearing. You can get it out without removing a wishhone but it was awkward.

Heres how I did it.

Remove wheel
      Remove caliper ( I did this to check them may not be necessary)
      Strip down the outer bearing
      Then remove the 6 nuts that hold the shaft to the diff (used an impact gun)
      Next I removed the track rod from the hub, wouldnt come out otherwise
      Then you can lean the hub and pull the shaft towards you to get it off of the studs on the diff side
      Then awkwardly play with it and it will come out just through the gap,between the lower wishbone and the diff. Its dam fiddly and fairly tight but will come out
      My inner grease cap poped off and made a mess so be prepared for that. And have new grease to hand.

Hope this is of some use
      Just knock a couple of the studs out and it will fall through that gap and save yourself all the faffin about.

Also if you do not have an impact gun place a ring spanner on the stud nuts and leave the wheel on. Turn the wheel to jam the spanner and use the wheel to slacken they willl turn very easily.
      Brian

Comment

Thanks guys, much apprecieated advice, so far i have the hub and disc removed and the caliper hanging out the way, also removed the track rod link from the back of the controll arm, aint touched it yesterday as my hands ached so much haveing spent all the previous day (with the help of my son) working on it,
        today after the eagles breakfast (a $hit and a good look round) i'm just going to give it a good clean up and get ready for monday when the stuff should arrive from R/T
        Last edited by POPEYE; 1 September 2012, 07:46.

Comment

When I work in this area now,I pop the track rod end,remove caliper,then undo the 8 bolts (4 top and 4 bottom) that hold the ball joints on,undo the driveshaft retaining bolt,then remove the hub assembly complete with ball joints.

Regards

Mark

Comment

i thought about doing it that way when i first looked at it as i couldn't see any other way but going on the writ up and advise i got the shaft out this morning without too much hassle, those nuts on the inner flange are tight!!
            what i did was tap a 17mm ring on to the bolt head, rotate the shaft till the spanner jammed on part of the wishbone, then with a 17mm socket on three extensions and my 4 ft lenght of wheel nut tube on that they went pretty easy, go with a bang dont they!
            small jack under the bottom bj and fiddle it up and down till the whole shaft goes through the center of the wishbone, the rest i can do on the bench now (when the rubbers arrive on monday,)

Comment

All done! it was fairly easy but the only trouble i had was getting the splined shaft into the stub axle enough to get the washer and circlip back on, it were a right bugga, in the end i undid the six inner cv mounting and removed the outer cv boot from the outer cv and got a pair of "G" clamps behind the cv and the control arm with the brake back plate removed, is this normal to have this prob? anyway got it all back together and new pads in, came to do the o/s pads and bearing check this morn and found i had a sheared off wheel nut stud, the nut was still in place and just came away with slight pressure on the spanner!!!, bit of stud stuck up it!!, got a spare nut tho

Comment

Mine was like that too I had to screw a m8 bolt into the centre of the shaft then pursuade it with a slide hammer

Comment

Ah!! not just my cack handed approach then
                  another stupid thing i did was fit the new inner bearing to the hub, fill it with grease, come to fit it on and found when i stuck the new outer bearing in there was no thread left for the lock nuts!! i only left the outer part of the old outer bearing in there!

Comment

Drive shaft should go through the steering knuckle easily. Something wrong if you have to use clamps or a slide hammer.

Nev

Comment

I did this job today too! (on a 3rd Gen)

It sounds like the dumbed it down for us 3rd Genners

It would have been even easier if I have decided to do this job before I'd already taken the lower arms off, which made undoing the hub nut fun!
                      More Lift.
                      More Tyres.
                      More Engine.

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
                        Drive shaft should go through the steering knuckle easily. Something wrong if you have to use clamps or a slide hammer.

Nev
                        It went in easy enough Nev, it was just the last few mm that was the problem, grabbing the shaft (if you pardon the expression) and pulling toward you nearly got it in far enough but ya cant get the circlip on with one hand hence the clamps, the shaft seemed to want to pull back toward the engine! like it was spring loaded, i'm guessing it was the oil seal on the back of the knuckle

Comment

Inner and outer boots

Anyone know if the inner and outer boots are the same on a 95, 2nd gen, 3.0ltr. ??? Mine just failed the MOT...

Comment

Yes

Comment

Not on a 2.4, you get an inner and an outer, you have to remove both then slide the outer one on from the inner end and then the inner one on from the inner end! confused?

Comment

Working...
                              X