Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine removal???

Bit of a funny one this!

I've been asked by a French 4Runner owner to put a clutch in a 1991 2.4.
    Now,I have good lifting equipment so,for me, it's easier to lift the lump out and change the clutch,than it is to lie on my back getting squashed by the gearbox!
    What i need to know is how long might it take me to lift the engine out and is there any difficulties with the job.Bear in mind it should be more simple than a surf,as I don't think these ones had EFI???

Cheers

Mark

Mark,

I changed the gearbox on my old 3.0 over Christmas, and took the block out of my 'new' 3.0 last weekend.

Just take the gearbox off - so much easier.

I got the box back on with 2 trolley jacks. My missus helped raise / lower / push the jacks whilst I was underneath getting it positioned right.

I've helped a mate do a clutch on his hilux pickup and iirc we had to drop the roll bar and undo the rear diff brackets to drop it slightly. Both props off and away you go.

hth,
    Rob.

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
      Just take the gearbox off - so much easier.
      Cheers Rob,
      You think so?? I hate laying on my back and getting filthy!!!
      Does the transfer box need to come off as well??

CDLT
      Mark

Comment

I left the transfer box on, just means more weight

Don't forget to pop both gear levers out of the box from under the centre console.

Comment

Hmmm!
          Food for thought (as if I have'nt got enough already).New cylinder head arrives tommorow!!!!
          Ever seen a model code 11LND9???? I'm assuming thats the code for the european 2.4 non EFI Gen I.

Comment

Working...
          X