@ sancho! Classic cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @ sancho! Classic cars?

Who is it on here thats into classic cars, belongs to a sort of club where you can drive one,? my son's just got a classic 30year old mercedes 380SL V8 and we need some engine service parts like plugs, distributor cap, points and condenser etc, (i think it has points!! remember them?) wheres the best place for old model spares? he's going to phone a merc dealer meanwhile but any advise appreciated, i'll post some pics as the ones i took were very fuzzy, great car tho goes like shite off a shovel, just a tad lumpy on cold starting, and the starter sticks sometimes (spins and wont engage) other than that and a few trim problems its a beautiful car,
    ta!!
    Last edited by POPEYE; 31 July 2012, 20:07.
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

sancho i think it was/is....

Comment

Thats the guy, thanks Bob, i seem to remember he was doing up an old merc saloon, if he still has a blue star i'll pm him, cheer's

it seem he can only be "messaged" by skype, no pm facility!! i dont have skype so if you read this Adam give me a shout!!
      Last edited by POPEYE; 31 July 2012, 20:06.

Comment

He is on t'other side as well ian.... try over yonder...

Comment

Hello. Where's my blue star gone then??

Anyway, yes, it is me that's into classic cars and I do have an old Mercedes that I spend a lot of time getting parts for. I guess you're talking about the Bobby Ewing / Hart to Hart style SL. If so, that's an R (or W) 107.

My first stop would be a company called Wunderpartz. They're on ebay:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/wunderpartz

and also

http://www.wunderpartz.co.uk/home.php

To be honest, you're best off phoning or emailing them. The guy who runs it (Bren) is very helpful and, from my experience, completely straight. I found their prices to be very good indeed and way less than a Merc dealer. They're pattern parts, but I've not had any problems. If you have the chassis number for him, it'll be easier to get the bits you need.

R107s are not rare and extremely well built, so you shouldn't struggle getting hold of parts or keeping it running once it's all good.

We have a 450SL in the club and it's pretty much trouble free and lovely to drive (as long as you're not rallying or something. It's a bit wallowy.)

Hope that helps. Any problems, though, give me a shout and I'll get in touch with the club mechanics or one of the garages I've used down here to get you more.

Comment

Thanks Adam, thats great, basicly as a start we just need the plug/points gap settings, theres not much wrong as it runs very well once its warmed up, the starter motor is prob the first thing for us to remove and check as it spins but wont engage sometimes, mind its been sat in a garage for ages, wheeled out for an MOT (passed) and driven the 200 odd miles down here,

this is it, pics very bad but i guess you can see the model, meanwhile i'll pass on the links to Simon, thanks again mate
            Attached Files

Comment

you would want to give the lense of that camera a rub of a cloth...

Comment

Think its more to do with me haveing it on the wrong setting but i will clean it

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
                  (as long as you're not rallying or something. It's a bit wallowy.)
                  Really?

Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

My god!!! (or gotten himmel) thats got to be the biggest bl00dy picture ever posted, i had to drive down to havant to see it all nice rally car but i dont think the lad will be doing that with it, he wants it absolutly stock with the missing bits of trim replaced andf whats there fitted properly, ya grab the passenger inside handle to shut the door and the whole card comes loose, light in the gauges not working (poss fuse) and a general tidying up, me i'm itching to get the V8 out and bling it up, chrome rockers, air filter pan bla bla bla

Comment

Adam

hi Adam, after looking at the dis cap and seeing it was a little burnt on the pick ups and the rotor was not too good, i got this email from Simon

Right – I have called the Merc garage in Portsmouth and the prices of the parts are as below and bloddy expensive – they include VAT so I was wondering if you could ask you mate on the site if he can better pricing, the VIN # for the car is WDB – 1070452A014083 and is a 380SL Auto – 1984 Reg V8 3.8L:

Distributor Cap - £108.60 Incl Vat
                      Rotor Arm - £ 28.20 Incl Vat
                      Set of Plugs x 8 - £ 33.12 Incl Vat
                      Air Filter - £35.28 Incl Vat
                      Exhust Rubbers Rear Box – 1.68 Incl Vat
                      That piddly bit of trim that is missine £49.98 Incl Vat !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

wondering if your guys at the classic club can come up with better prices than the dealers did, the car runs well when warmed (and not at all bad when its cold, albeit the weathers good) we got some snags sorted out sunday, removed the pass side door card (before it fell off) and it wasn't even screwed on (armrest fixing) waxoiled the inside of the door, greased the window mech and fitted the card properly, replaced the sterio head, sorted the rag top/hard top latch, replaced "wood screws" holding part of the center console on with japlac tappers and dome covers, looks much more "professional, starter seems to have sorted itself out, prob where the cars been garaged for a year,
                      took some better pics, we swopped over the tops as the guy had had the rag top remade in germany so it practially brand new, Simes was advised to spray some tent waterproofer over the stitching,
                      anyway mate any advise re the parts welcome,
                      Attached Files

Comment

I'll see what I can do.

By the way, do you know you've got about a grand's worth of number plate attached to that car? Flog that to some nob before doing anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
                          I'll see what I can do.

By the way, do you know you've got about a grand's worth of number plate attached to that car? Flog that to some nob before doing anything else.
                          WOW!!! i'll tell him, and thanks Adam, 108 quid for a distributor cap seems a bit OTT, last one i bought for a serria was about a fiver give me a diesel anyday

Comment

Working...
                          X