Seems like lack of oomph!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seems like lack of oomph!

We tow a twin axle caravan weighing approximately 1800kg with our Surf, however on one or two steep hills we have almost come to a stop as the vehicle runs out of oomph!
    Basically you hit the hill, i.e. Fish Hill outside Broadway going to Moreton in Marsh travelling at 50mph with caravan in tow, it starts to slow down and changes down and then seems as if it is staying in the lower gear which may be either 2nd or maybe 1st gear and starts struggling and does not want to change down further. Moving it manually into either 2nd or 1st makes on difference.
    At times I thought we were going to come to a stop as it was struggling that much and speed was way under 10mph. Gets embarrassing when a cyclist overtakes you! Travelling on the M5 on the long hill after Bristol she flies up there with the caravan in tow. We have no other issues when towing.
    The vehicle is serviced regularly and had transmission fluid changed about 2000 miles ago when it was serviced. Mileage is now 79100 miles.
    Is this a trait of the vehicle to struggle on steep hills with something is tow or is there perhaps something wrong. There is no ways it would get up there with a trailer at 2200kgs.
    Any advice please? Thanks.

A compression check may be in order. The 3.0 has a good bit of towing grunt normally.
    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Fish Hill's a real bugger - you can get a bit of a run at it but have to lift off for the left hander ! Never dragged the van up it but I suspect that most Surfs would struggle

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Originally posted by Predictable Bob View Post

Fish Hill's a real bugger - you can get a bit of a run at it but have to lift off for the left hander ! Never dragged the van up it but I suspect that most Surfs would struggle

Once you hit that left hander it seems to lose all power from that point forward. On our previous Surf a 1997, you could accelerate and it would change down and pick up again obviously not to a high speed, but within reason and I seem to remember no issue however the caravan was about 150kgs lighter.

Comment

Sounds like you could do with fitting an intercooler.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
            Sounds like you could do with fitting an intercooler.
            Not very versed on this, but how will it help fitting an intercooler? Thanks.

Comment

They cool the inlet air to provide a bit more torque/horsepower.

The intercooled 3rd gens produce around 25 more bhp (IIRC) over the standard model.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                They cool the inlet air to provide a bit more torque/horsepower.

The intercooled 3rd gens produce around 25 more bhp (IIRC) over the standard model.
                As said a bit ignoarnt on thsi subject as I have never had a vehicle modified. Doesn't the bonnet need to be modified to accept the intercooler? I am assuming it sits somewhere around the air filter.
                If we cannot sort something out, we may need to reluctantly trade it in on a recent Jeep Commander 3.0l or an older Landcruiser, but don't really want to fork out extra dosh as surf is very reliable.

Comment

My Mrs went out in the pickup with her sister, she said it was sluggish on hills.

Do you think an intercooler is the answer?
                  Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

gggrrrr..... Fish Hill...... Grrr, Fish Hill killed my 2.4...... grrr......

but I got a 3rd gen intercooled 3 after, so its not ALL bad
                    If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Comment

Fish hill is a bugger for anything,i used to be HGV driver and back in the day you could smoke a cigarette in the time it took to get up it.

Comment

Forgot I raised this thread previously as started another post. We came across this problem again recently and I now suspect that it is staying in third (or fourth)?? and not changing down to keep up the momentum. Does not overheat and temperature remains constant at just below half way.
                        It is getting so bad we are considering getting a 2002 LC or even a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee for towing the caravan. Otherwise no other issues with Surf.
                        Any one come across this happening?

Comment

The Surfs a fine towing vehicle most of the time but if the turbo spools down on a long hill then its going to be a long drag I found the best way is to kick down just before the start of the hill to get the revs up and keep them up there to keep the turbo turning.
                          ionic SURFactant

Comment

Originally posted by steved View Post
                            The Surfs a fine towing vehicle most of the time but if the turbo spools down on a long hill then its going to be a long drag I found the best way is to kick down just before the start of the hill to get the revs up and keep them up there to keep the turbo turning.
                            Maybe try disengaging the over drive and Eco modes? I was beginning to wonder if the caravan's brakes were being activated by the ALKO Trailer Control (ATC).
                            Although the Jeep is very nice and the LC good for its year, not really keen to spend money to find out that the issue lies elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Surf01 View Post
                              Maybe try disengaging the over drive and Eco modes? I was beginning to wonder if the caravan's brakes were being activated by the ALKO Trailer Control (ATC).
                              Although the Jeep is very nice and the LC good for its year, not really keen to spend money to find out that the issue lies elsewhere.
                              On my 2.4 i drop out of overdrive at 50 mph when pulling a trailor loaded and this keeps tubo spooled up and pulling hard and i get no probs. but leaving o/d in results in slowing down then only dowshifting 1 gear and then further slowing till trans kicks down another gear.
                              I realise they are not all the same but this works for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X