Maybe a surf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe a surf?

Hi all, found this forum while trawling the net to research surfs.
    I'm in the market for a motor and fancied another 4x4. My only other 4x4 I've ever owned was a Jeep Grand Cherokee v8 which I loved and regretted getting rid of.
    I'm really impressed with all the write ups and the reputation of the surfs and I'm wanting something good and reliable, although I do the vast majority of work on my cars so small issues ain't a problem.
    I love the look of surfs but not so keen on the interior, and the only thing I think holding me back is the power.
    All my cars are always fast or powerful ie: Volvo T5, MGZT v6 190+, Jeep Grand Cherokee v8 and I'm concerned I'm gonna be really disappointed with the surf and get bored quick!
    I'm looking at the 3.0td's. I'm not expecting v8 power, don't get me wrong but I've heard mixed reports. Some say pretty powerful others say proper slow??
    Any advice?
    Thanks in advance,
    Mark.
    P.s I'm going to look at a couple today so I'm gonna try and get a test drive.

Hello and welcome. The 3.0td has a lot more power than the 2.4td but it's not a sports car. You could look at buying/doing the v8 conversion as some have done on here. They go very well but it's a mod you may not want to get involved with.
    What will you be using the vehicle for?
    May help us tell you the good and bad of the vehicle
    www.apmautos.com

Comment

Hi. I wouldn't want to go to the trouble of doing the v8 conversion. I had a look at one today and was quite impressed. Couldn't have a test drive though, but I wouldn't have bought it anyway. Belched thick black smoke at start up, then when revved either belched black smoke or belched white smoke!! Mileage didn't tally up and garage couldn't explain why.
      But having sat in it and had a good look I did fall for them a little more.
      I'm self employed so need a big motor or estate for my gear during the week (plus the dog) and my current MG ZT-T just isn't practical for my biking. I tow a three bike trailer for my trials bikes and I'm trying to get out on the bikes more but nearly got stuck the other day on a rough track, which is why I'm looking for a 4x4.
      I'm going to look at a P38 Range Rover tonight and if thats no good I think I'm going to go for this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1209477854...#ht_567wt_1344

Its a bit of a trek for me though and it will be a case of "if i go down to see it I'll have to buy it!" its too far for just a viewing.

Comment

I've seen that before... Pretty sure it belongs to someone on here... Just can't remember who!
        Paranoid? They're out to GET YOU!

Comment

4 runner v6 maybe
          Not going to rest till its broke

Comment

Hi and welcome
            I'm a tiler and I get all my tools and the dog in my 3litre 2nd Gen runs great and pulls like a train can't recommend them highly enough

Comment

Originally posted by joe112 View Post
              I've seen that before... Pretty sure it belongs to someone on here... Just can't remember who!
              I think it was on ebay recently and there was a bit of a chat about it here.

Comment

Had a quick trawl through a few pages of posts to see if I could find the discussion but got fed up
                If anyone has any info on the link that would be cool.
                And the Range Rover guy hasn't got back to me to let me view, so the surf is defo in the running now.

Comment

Welcome to the house of fun.
                  If you can get that one for 1.5k, you have got what looks like a good un.
                  Make sure you get it up to temperture, turn the air con, lights and blower on and give it a decent run up a hill. Keep an eye on the temp whilst doing this.
                  Before and after your run, have a look at the expansion tank and look for signs of rusty water stains. If after your run there are any signs of water expelled from the tank then walk away.
                  Also look closely for radweld/ K Seal deposits... ( copper/bronze metal flake stuff) could be hiding a cracked head.
                  Other than that if it aint leaking oil, the 4x4 works (only switch on when a wheel can spin freely as there is no centre diff) and the light comes on the dash, then its probably alright....
                  hope this helps and good luck in your search.
                  "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                  www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Power!

For some reason, mine was quite lively today, must be the warm weather! For a 2T truck, the 3.0's are fairly brisk. I left my labourer's diesel astra van for dead the other day - he was quite put out!
                    But don't expect loads of reserve power, the pedal makes you go, and for normal driving, there's plenty of oomph there. but that's it. Like has been said, it aint a sports car.
                    "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                    www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Thanks for that, very helpful. I've messaged the guy so I'm gonna go for it. I did fall for the surfs after my little play with one today.
                      One question, how do you engage the 4x4 again? In numpty speak so i can understand My only other 4x4 was my Jeep which was full time 4x4 unless engaging low ratio, and then you just had to push the stick forward while crawling very slow to engage it.

Comment

Get the Surf.
                        I have a 3.0 3rd gen that I use for track days, it will tow a trailer & bike with a full load in the back and you can't tell the difference from when it's empty.
                        Loads of power that means you can sit at 90mph all day long if you can afford the fuel!
                        I've just come back from Le Mans fully loaded 4 blokes, 800 miles without any trouble.
                        Dobbs

Comment

If you want to take my 3.0 for a spin your more than welcome as I'm in Bradford myself.

Plus you will be driving a fine example.

If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Gotta be a Surf 3.0l every time n Good Luck with ya purchase .....

11+ Years of Surfs .... n Faultless to a " T " is my Yota
                            Buncefield Burner

Comment

Working...
                            X