Black smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black smoke

When I start the vehicle up first thing in the morning there is a slight puff of white smoke so no issue there. If after running the engine for awhile travelling around and I give it a rev almost red lining it, on the initial rev, there is a puff of really black smoke. If I hold the revs it disappears until i give it a hard rev again, then the puff of black smoke.
    What is the cause of this puff of black smoke and is there anyway to get rid of it. I don't think performance etc is affected but mpg may be lower if something is coked up.
    Thanks.

You could try disabling the EGR valve.

Comment

Hi there, whilst I never got to the root cause, I had a similar problem, semi cured at least, by new plugs, filters, EGR mod etc. basically a full service. Cured most of the smoke problem anyway, I lived with the small amount left and put that down to.. She's 20 years old, if she wants to smoke, it's her concern Be interesting to see if/what does resolve the problem. Btw, before I did all the work, I ran her on bio diesel and injector cleaner to get the tank cleaned, and the injectors hopefully, for a few tankfuls anyway. Fuel filter was really dirty after that! Now back on proper fuel! May or may not have been the 'proper' way to do things but I'm prepared to give anything a crack, it seemed like a good idea. Good luck with yours...
      Started wi' nowt and still got most of it left!

Comment

Originally posted by highgun View Post
        You could try disabling the EGR valve.
        Or possibly using the search feature
        I think black smoke may have been covered
        Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
          Or possibly using the search feature
          I think black smoke may have been covered
          Brings up too many irrelevant posts.

Comment

you can just block the valve with a ball bearing or such... search ball bearing - just dont buy it from ebay!

its a 2 minute job and will reduce the black smoke.. Dont think it does much else though
            Paranoid? They're out to GET YOU!

Comment

or read this:

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthrea...all+Bearing%22
              Paranoid? They're out to GET YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by joe112 View Post
                Koi doesn't mention whether it is on a 2nd or 3rd gen or whether it is a 2.4 or 3.0L Surf.

Comment

Originally posted by Surf01 View Post
                  When I start the vehicle up first thing in the morning there is a slight puff of white smoke so no issue there. If after running the engine for awhile travelling around and I give it a rev almost red lining it, on the initial rev, there is a puff of really black smoke. If I hold the revs it disappears until i give it a hard rev again, then the puff of black smoke.
                  What is the cause of this puff of black smoke and is there anyway to get rid of it. I don't think performance etc is affected but mpg may be lower if something is coked up.
                  Thanks.
                  It's Diesel? Black smoke is normal. Black smoke is good, to some extent.

Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Any one know anything about these people? http://www.bgprod.co.uk/EGR/EGR%20Solutions.htm

Comment

Hi Ian, I know nothing about that company BUT I did the ball bearing mod on my 3rd gen years ago and have had no trouble !

PS
                      It took me about 30 seconds

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Working...
                      X