depressed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• depressed

had to have one of my dogs put to sleep because of spinal problems and it was the hardest decision that i have ever had to make, its like loosing a family member, the house doesnt seem right with out him being here, he always was very protective and looked after my property. i just cant help thinking that ive done the right thing by putting him to sleep. i know some of you may think that its only a dog but i also know that some of you are dog lovers also so you may have been through the same experience. i know that this is pretty morbid but i thought i would share it with you and get it off my chest.........
    CHEERS JOHN................

owning 2 dogs I understand and sympathise

andy
    Landcruiser Colorado
    Sub. Forester

Comment

It never easy having to make that decision but it is better for the dignity of the animal to let go when it is no longer able to enjoy its life and do the things that come natural. I know it will be of little consolation but I have added a small poem which may give you a lift.

Malcolm

There is a bridge connecting Heaven and Earth. It is called the Rainbow Bridge because of its many colors. Just this side of the Rainbow Bridge there is a land of meadows, hills and valleys with lush green grass. When a beloved pet dies, the pet goes to this place. There is always food and water and warm spring weather, and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
      The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to break away from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

YOU have been seen, and when you and your special friend meet, you take him or her in your arms and embrace. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never from your heart.

THEN you cross the Rainbow Bridge together, never again to be separated.
      Visit all the Surfin Elkhounds at [url="http://www.malenibo.co.uk/"]www.malenibo.co.uk[/url]

Comment

had to do the same to my golden retrevier few years ago, for the same sort of problem too.
        i know it was hardest thing i had to do too.
        but rest assured mate it was the right thing to do.
        Enjoying Life after Cancer
        Pops

Comment

very sorry 2 hear of your sad lost, i do understand, i 2 had to have one of my dogs put 2 sleep. i cried for days. i had her 4 10yrs so they do become part of the family. i still ask myself if i did the right thing, but thats something i'l never know. i have another dog now(2 yrs later). i dread the day when i have to hav her put 2 sleep. deepest sympathy, chin up.
          lets go get dirty...

Comment

Had to make that decision a few times over the years and it never gets any easier. However it's the last thing we can do for our friends to help them maintain their dignity. And if sharing helps then that's what this forum is all about.
            Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

sorry to hear it mate - my dogs are definately part of my family. Sometimes you have to do the difficult thing. I cant imagine putting one of mine down - i hope i would have the courage to do it if it was neccesary though.

Our sympathy. PM me you if want to chat

Regards,

alex (ben&jerry)

Comment

Sorry to hear about your dog, Slim. You can rest assured that you made the right decision. Only selfish people keep suffering animals alive.
                My last one had to be put to sleep in 1984, aged approximately 17 yrs. He had a massive heart attack, doing what he loved most, which was playing in the snowdrifts. He was a stray that followed me home when I was 12.
                Lady, my Collie x golden retriever, is now 15.
                It's only a hobby!

Comment

No more pain, and suffering.

Wish him a safe journey...

our thoughts are with you, your family and your loved one.

Best wishes, andyL

PS. Melenibo, that was really spot on... nice one.

Comment

yes there are like a member of the family and you did do the right thing you did it for the dog not to see it suffer

Comment

Hey Slim,

Lisa & I send our condolences to you.
                      We have 2 german shepherds and they are our 2nd best friends and excellent companions. If we were to lose either of them, we would also feel devestated. We have had furry friends in the past, but nothing gears you up for the inevitable.

Take care as best you can and just remember that there are always good things just around the corner.

Best wishes

Gary & Lisa

p.s Malcolm, your piece was brilliant !!!!
                      1996 SSR-G 3.0TD
                      1995 SSR-X 3.0TD Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by Garymt
                        Hey Slim,

Lisa & I send our condolences to you.
                        We have 2 german shepherds and they are our 2nd best friends and excellent companions. If we were to lose either of them, we would also feel devestated. We have had furry friends in the past, but nothing gears you up for the inevitable.

Take care as best you can and just remember that there are always good things just around the corner.

Best wishes

Gary & Lisa

p.s Malcolm, your piece was brilliant !!!!
                        Had to make that choice earlier this year, not the first time, and it wasn't any easier this time and I doubt it will be next time.
                        But deep down I know it was the right choice and the kindest thing we could have done for her. It ain't easy, never will be but its the kindest.
                        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                        My choice
                        Back off

Comment

I had to do the same thing for my dog. It broke my heart at the time but it was better than seeing him unwell. A few years on and i still think about him, still miss him and know that i could never have another dog like him but the pain eases and fond memories remain. It's tough now but you did what anyone who actually cares for their pet would do. Dont ever doubt your decision, ending an animals suffering is a courageous thing to do, its easy and unfair to just let nature take its course. My thoughts are with you and your family.
                          PUBLIC ENEMY NO.1

Comment

Working...
                          X