Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all surf owner to be with lots of questions

Hi all glad to find somewhere like this where i can quiz experienced owners
    I am buying a 93 surf 2.4td manual. just waiting for the owner to get his private plate off.
    From the posts ive seen one of the biggest worries on these surfs is destroying the head. as the one im getting has never done this and has a steel head i want to do as much as possible to avoid the overheating as i will be using it to tow a horsebox!!!
    Firstly is whats the thermostat opening temp, and is there a lower opening one that can be fitted?
    Anyone fitted an extra electric fan to cool the engine and is it any good?
    Also whats the service time on the gearbox, diffs etc and what oil is used?
    Thats it for now sure i will be asking many more, thanks in advance.

Hi, welcome

Thermostat - My brain says 88, but I've no idea where that came from. Opening the 'stat earlier won't help, but I would suggest replacing it with a new one as soon as you get the surf. Also change the rad cap.

Fan - Some people have replaced the viscous fan with a Kenlowe, but it doesn't seem that popular. You would be better off changing the fluid in the viscous fan to make sure that's all working fine. Also check the auxiliary fan works - just disconnect it from the sensor on the 'stat housing to make sure it turns on.

A few people have cut holes in the bonnet to help with cooling, probably a good idea.

Maintenance schedule here and some other useful stuff here

Comment

Cheers very helpful will think about the holes, gonna paint the bonnet black since all the lacquer has come off which seems common on the maroon ones for some reason.

Comment

Working...
      X