Right place right time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right place right time

Alan was given one of these today in as new condition and gave it to me.

It's rather large, 8.5" opening with 6" wide jaw plates and a quick release mechanism.
    Brian

Just as well you have that new bench to bolt it to...
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
      Just as well you have that new bench to bolt it to...
      Fills a third of that small bench need to make fairly decent sandwich plates so it can be used to it's potential if required. You know where it is when you need it
      Brian

Comment

Yep, I do

How's the neighbours?
        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
          Alan was given one of these today in as new condition and gave it to me.

It's rather large, 8.5" opening with 6" wide jaw plates and a quick release mechanism.
          Got one of those in work, great bit of kit.
          The quick release really speeds things up.
          Still on a mission.

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
            Yep, I do

How's the neighbours?
            All good mate, I now have in writing from the enforcement officer that all my fabricating/modifying/hobbies are allowed as is all the equipment I own, use.

Originally posted by Bazcam View Post
            Got one of those in work, great bit of kit.
            The quick release really speeds things up.
            A normal 4" bench vice would probably be all I ever need but as it's here why not. It is a very substantial piece of kit and should out live me with ease.
            Brian

Comment

It's a nice vice and all that, but why do they cost over £400?
              Brand name?

Comment

I have a B&Q 10 quid thing, useless, it wont grip properly, could do with a new one with a half moon release,
                Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                  It's a nice vice and all that, but why do they cost over £400?
                  Brand name?
                  Probably because you'll only ever buy it once. We've got 5 record vices at work, used every day and they are well over 20 years old and still perfect.

Comment

Have the 4 inch version in my garage atm, bought it at a car boot sale for £5 from a woman who wanted rid of all her husbands stuff. Exceptional quality and both my friends who use them all the time swear by them. A vice may not seem important, but when it lets go of what you are working on and you injure yourself because it is cheap, you'll know why a good one is worth the money...
                    ======
                    Just gotta finish doing the next mod...

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
                      Probably because you'll only ever buy it once. We've got 5 record vices at work, used every day and they are well over 20 years old and still perfect.
                      You're not wrong there, Rob. I've had mine for 27 years, now, and I bought it for scrap weight then. It had been on a bench in Leyland Motors for at least 20 years before that! .....So yes, they do last.......
                      " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

It was probably never used at Leyland though. On a bench or not!
                        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                          It was probably never used at Leyland though. On a bench or not!
                          .....Fair comment.
                          " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

The one i 'sourced' had a little bit of surface rust but had never been used.
                            We have some at work that are a good 30 years old at least and still work as they should.
                            Cheap vice (£45) used daily will last perhaps 6 months or so. £450 for a Record that lasts a liftime is a bargain.
                            Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Working...
                            X