Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KZN 130 Head Gasket

Hi All,
    Im looking for some help and advice. I own a KZN 130. I have recently spotted a leak in the radiator and so have replaced it. After changing the radiator its become apparent that there was serious pressure build up in the radiator and with every rev of the engine white smoke came from the exhaust. I feared the head gasket had gone and so did a sniffer test which confirmed it.

Before this happened I have previously thought about selling it. Its been a great motor, lovingly serviced and looked after and so is in great condition.
    I have been quoted £400 -£500 to repair the head gasket.

I am now unsure if I should go ahead and fork out for the repair and continue to try and sell it.
    OR
    Try and sell it as it is and knock the price right down.

Is there a high demand for Surfs sold for parts and spares? What kind of price would I expect to get for it compared to if it was fully fit and running?
    Obviously its an expensive repair to do if I would struggle to sell it anyway!

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Many thanks

I would get a second opinion, very rare just for the head gasket to on its own.
    Selling it depends on what you really want, once repaired you will have trouble free motoring. If you repair it, it will still only get market value or what someones willing to pay.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

Hey Koi,
      thanks for that. you say its rare for the head gasket to go on its own. From your experience what other faults would go along with this?
      If we find it has a cracked head then there will be no way I can afford to repair it and would be forced to sell for spares. However, from reading some of the threads on here its says its very rare for the 3.0 to get a cracked head. Is that right?
      I have had the vehicle for 2 years and have never really pushed it. I have never towed heavy loads or allowed it to overheat. Always used genuine filters and the best oil when I service it. So, is this something that just happens with age?
      I have had a look on roughtrax for new gasket kit and I should be able to negotiate labour costs down too, so if it turns out to be just the gasket I will go ahead with the repair.
      I look forward to your reply.
      Big thanks

Comment

Originally posted by PINHEAD View Post
        Hey Koi,
        thanks for that. you say its rare for the head gasket to go on its own. From your experience what other faults would go along with this?
        If we find it has a cracked head then there will be no way I can afford to repair it and would be forced to sell for spares. However, from reading some of the threads on here its says its very rare for the 3.0 to get a cracked head. Is that right?
        I have had the vehicle for 2 years and have never really pushed it. I have never towed heavy loads or allowed it to overheat. Always used genuine filters and the best oil when I service it. So, is this something that just happens with age?
        I have had a look on roughtrax for new gasket kit and I should be able to negotiate labour costs down too, so if it turns out to be just the gasket I will go ahead with the repair.
        I look forward to your reply.
        Big thanks
        I would say that that the head has cracked, it's not uncommon for the 3 ltr as they get older, my truck has been serviced every three months not towed or really been push and it's head cracked your looking at about 900 to 1000 for the repair but well worth it
        SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Working...
        X