Its finally time for the 2.4 to 2.8 swap tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its finally time for the 2.4 to 2.8 swap tomorrow

Finally time to rip out my 2.4 and fit the mighty 2.8 intercooled turbo diesel beast tomorrow, well not really mighty but more power than what I have now anyway

Will take plenty of photos tomorrow and do a nice we writeup once im done (planning by next weekend at the latest depending how much time it takes to get the head rebuilt)

The two questions are, is there any photos in particular that anyone wants me to take of the swap/engine rebuild if they are interested?

And are there any last hints anyone has for me before I start in the morning? I do forklift engines on a regular basis at my work but havent really had to tackle a diesel 4x4 before, cant imagine anything going bad and in fact it should be easier than a forklift as way less electrics in the diesel 2.8 lump

Either way early start tomorrow and will get it all built up this weekend ready for the head to arrive on thursday, and hopefully fit it after work on thursday and drive it home
    Its a new truck, Because every parts been replaced

Originally posted by Kiwisurfing View Post
    Finally time to rip out my 2.4 and fit the mighty 2.8 intercooled turbo diesel beast tomorrow, well not really mighty but more power than what I have now anyway

Will take plenty of photos tomorrow and do a nice we writeup once im done (planning by next weekend at the latest depending how much time it takes to get the head rebuilt)

The two questions are, is there any photos in particular that anyone wants me to take of the swap/engine rebuild if they are interested?

And are there any last hints anyone has for me before I start in the morning? I do forklift engines on a regular basis at my work but havent really had to tackle a diesel 4x4 before, cant imagine anything going bad and in fact it should be easier than a forklift as way less electrics in the diesel 2.8 lump

Either way early start tomorrow and will get it all built up this weekend ready for the head to arrive on thursday, and hopefully fit it after work on thursday and drive it home
    Good luck with the swap

My tip would be to take off the bonnet and use one of your fork lifts for the lifting.
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
      Good luck with the swap

My tip would be to take off the bonnet and use one of your fork lifts for the lifting.
      Thats exactly why im doing it at work, to lazy to use an engine hoist after realizing how fast it is using a forklift

Comment

Good luck with the swopover, i believe you have to swop out the ECU and most of the electrics as well! remember someone did it (or started it) on the Aus tech site, not an easy option, stick a V8 in it if your going to all that trouble
        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Im close I can almost smell the diesel, heres a sneak peak anyway.

You can tell the new block and parts from the old muddy parts pretty easily
          Attached Files

Comment

That's buggered the plans a little

Well looks like the 2.8 wont be finished for a few more weeks now as I have to wait for a new head to be delivered.
            Kind of glad I had the head pressure tested first before the head was recon as I never would have noticed this we sucker. Only found once we took away a little surface from the head.

The real bugger is that its not big enough to be leaking yet and theres no contamination in the coolant or signs in the engine, but no point putting it back on and stuffing my new block when it does eventually give enough to leak.

Oh well add me to the cracked head party
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X