Failed MOT! :-( HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed MOT! :-( HELP!

Took the Surf for its MOT and it failed on two counts. The rear tailpipe after the silencer box has corroded through and needs replacing. So replacing the whole exhaust system. Not really an issue.

However there is an issue with the emissions. Tester got into vehicle and revved it really hard and every time he did this there was a wisp of black smoke. Can me the shudders as I never rev it that high. Only appeared on the initial rev up, but not if he kept the revs up. This is the one that has us worried.

Living in the country a lot of our trips are into town along country lanes so the revs stay low and we seldom are able to exceed 40mph. When on the motorway generally we are towing a caravan and speed is limited to 60mph. I have been adding Redex to the tank over the past month. Today I took it for a run up the motorway for about 10 miles at about 75mph with the over drive switched off to maintain high revs. Not too bad now, but still a wisp of black smoke when giving it a high rev.

I filled up with BP today as my two previous fills were Tesco and Sainsburys. Prior to that only branded fuels for the past year.

Is there any way I can overcome this black smoke issue? It is just a puff of black smoke when the engine is revved high.

Ian, as you're aware ours does very little mileage and the vast majority is Jackie poodling around town or the now very rare outing with the van on the back.

All I do prior to the MoT is take it to Dr Anglegrinder for a service, add a double shot of redex and then I give it a REAL THRASHING on the A303 for 20 mins or so immediately before dropping it off at the MoT centre. Emissions are always low and it frequently goes through on a 'fast pass' i.e. the first emission test is low enough that they don't have to bother with averaging three tests

If that doesn't work then you need advice from the grown ups

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Bung a 60/40 Veg/DERV mix in it.
      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Previously at another MOT station the tester shoved something up the exhaust and run the engine at a "normal" high revs. No issue.
        At the MOT station he really revved it, like it has never been revved. IMHO her was almost redlining it and had us worried with the revs being that high. He did it 3 - 4 times and it was a visual check, but each time as he did it, a wisp of black smoke as the revs started to climb. I didn't think they were allowed to rev an engine so hard.
        Hopefully there is a simple way of rectifying it!

Comment

Emission level tests must be very strict up there. I don't know what a MOT is but we have an Annual Vieche Inspection and my Surf passed: and it had not a puff of smoke, it was a lot, I mean really a lot. You can see a black smoke even at 1500RPMs. Thats the advantage of living in a third world country.
          '94 Surf SSR-X --3.0l Turbo-KZN130W -- 400,000KMs

Comment

Originally posted by Surf01 View Post
            I didn't think they were allowed to rev an engine so hard.
            They can and do. There's a warning notice posted in the station telling you it's your problem if they break it.

Comment

I can be very flash as have just come back from MOT and yet again it has passed with only an advisory on 3 tyres, however the tester revd mine hard several times as I thought they had to, got a bit of smoke but on test came out at 1.5 (max 3?) so all is good, did they provide the print out for the test?
              Did I mention I have a BLUE one
              Tony

Comment

Previously at another MOT station the tester shoved something up the exhaust and run the engine at a "normal" high revs. No issue.
                At the MOT station he really revved it, like it has never been revved. IMHO her was almost redlining it and had us worried with the revs being that high. He did it 3 - 4 times and it was a visual check, but each time as he did it, a wisp of black smoke as the revs started to climb. I didn't think they were allowed to rev an engine so hard.
                Hopefully there is a simple way of rectifying it!

Sounds like you've found one of the w4anker MOT testers.

Does he offer a free re-test?
                If not, take it to a MOT station that knows how diesels work.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                  Sounds like you've found one of the w4anker MOT testers.

Does he offer a free re-test?
                  If not, take it to a MOT station that knows how diesels work.
                  No print out for the test. Just visual and no test apparatus. I take the car to the workshop side and they do a good job at a reasonable price so no issue there.
                  They will be fitting the new exhaust on Thursday with a labour charge of £40. The mechanic, not the tester, is very familiar with Toyota having worked for Toyota for many years, advised that they will find a way to clear the system. Also I have a towbar and electrics fitted and strangely enough that was not tested.
                  We can only hope!

Comment

No print out for the test. Just visual and no test apparatus. I take the car to the workshop side and they do a good job at a reasonable price so no issue there.
                    They will be fitting the new exhaust on Thursday with a labour charge of £40. The mechanic, not the tester, is very familiar with Toyota having worked for Toyota for many years, advised that they will find a way to clear the system. Also I have a towbar and electrics fitted and strangely enough that was not tested.
                    Take it somewhere else!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                      Take it somewhere else!
                      I will see what happens on Thursday as they have said no retest fee. If it fails again on emissions I will take it to my usual MOT tester in Lisle estate in Kidderminster.

Comment

As far as I know ( and I could be out of date or wrong) they are only supposed to boot it to 2500rpm and not to the red line, but as the Prof says, take it somewhere else. By all means let them work on it, but dont let them MOT it.
                        Сви можемо

Comment

I will see what happens on Thursday as they have said no retest fee. If it fails again on emissions I will take it to my usual MOT tester in Lisle estate in Kidderminster.
                          That's where mine went.
                          A few ball joints later I was MOT'd. Advisory on Steering Idler, nowt else.
                          My mechanic (does the fiddly bits I don't have the time to struglle with) puts all his work through them, so I reckon they must be fair...
                          "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                          www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
                            That's where mine went.
                            A few ball joints later I was MOT'd. Advisory on Steering Idler, nowt else.
                            My mechanic (does the fiddly bits I don't have the time to struglle with) puts all his work through them, so I reckon they must be fair...
                            Either way I think in future I will continue to use them in Kiddy. I think the original owner of that MOT station is now sunning himself in Spain. LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
                              As far as I know ( and I could be out of date or wrong) they are only supposed to boot it to 2500rpm and not to the red line
                              No, you're correct. But ~2,500rpm (for 20 seconds) may seem like a lot to someone that's not used to hearing an unloaded engine at that kind of revs.

Comment

Working...
                              X