Bonnet re-spray required! (%*&$£")

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonnet re-spray required! (%*&$£")

On arrival home yesterday, I noticed two deep scratches on the bonnet almost next to one another and in parallel. The only place this could have happened is when we put it through the car wash, but too late to go back.
    Anyway got Mr Chipsaway in and confirmed my worst fears. Scratches are deep and down to metal and they are not equipped to deal with those type of scratches as you will always see the repair. As we are worried about rust, he suggested we contact a body shop in Malvern to get a quote, so now probably looking at about £200 to fix.
    The Surf has very few scratches on it for its age and so far no dings. Wife is the one that wants it brought back to original and probably would get a total re-spray if we had the money!

buy a big sticker to put over the scratches, lot cheaper till you can save up the money for the respray

Comment

www.scuffsnscrapes.com D
      PayPal for stickers : scuffsnscrapes@hotmail.com

Comment

mention this forum and I (i mean they ) will give you a good price if the repair can be done

(ring me anytime after 10am as ill be at my first job by then )

Comment

In future........

http://www.centralcontracts.com/news...s/car-wash.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post

Comment

One bucket? Where's your morals now Vince?
              EVERYONE knows you need one soap bucket and one sponge rinse bucket....
              Tut Tut...
              "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
              www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
                One bucket? Where's your morals now Vince?
                EVERYONE knows you need one soap bucket and one sponge rinse bucket....
                Tut Tut...

I only need one bucket!
                The hosepipe is for rinsing. I can tell you're new to this.

Comment

I only need one bucket!
                  wash till streaky mud residue all over it still, then polish on top. one bucket, dirt covered sponge and one cloth for wax on and off.
                  well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

I only need one bucket!
                    Very, only washed the surf 3 times since buying it... I washed it before Avalanche

and again when I went to Shrophire with Growler...

Oh and last week, just before it rained...

Just starting to get the hang of this washing malarky...
                    "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                    www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by Surf01 View Post
                      On arrival home yesterday, I noticed two deep scratches on the bonnet almost next to one another and in parallel. The only place this could have happened is when we put it through the car wash, but too late to go back.
                      Anyway got Mr Chipsaway in and confirmed my worst fears. Scratches are deep and down to metal and they are not equipped to deal with those type of scratches as you will always see the repair. As we are worried about rust, he suggested we contact a body shop in Malvern to get a quote, so now probably looking at about £200 to fix.
                      The Surf has very few scratches on it for its age and so far no dings. Wife is the one that wants it brought back to original and probably would get a total re-spray if we had the money!
                      Hi Surf01,
                      ASAP go out and put vaseline into the scratches to stop them rusting.

Ask around for quotes on getting it repaired. Could the repair be localised to the bonnet or will it need blowing in over the wings?

PS. I never use a automatic car wash for your own car. Hand car washes are normally pretty good though. When five of them take 15 mins to do the outside and in this leaves plenty time to go home and put a coat of wax on
                      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by animal View Post
                        mention this forum and I (i mean they ) will give you a good price if the repair can be done

(ring me anytime after 10am as ill be at my first job by then )
                        The reason Chipsaway said they prefer not to do it was because the scratches on the left hand side of the bonnet right in the middle between the edge and the first fluting on the bonnet. They can do the job but because it is only a patch, you will be able to see it which is why they recommended a bonnet spray.
                        We do have a pressure washer which we normally use but on this occasion.... definitely hand wash in future!

BTW Wolfracer I am hoping that the red strap was not used for towing you out of a bog?

Thanks for the vaseline tip.

Comment

Originally posted by Surf01 View Post
                          BTW Wolfracer I am hoping that the red strap was not used for towing you out of a bog?
                          Nope, it was on its first outing across the bonnet. Needed to get some "substance" into it to look like a seasoned off roader...
                          TBH, I've never got stuck so far.
                          Who do you think I am? PUDDLESURFER ?
                          www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

would it not be cheaper to get a bonnet from a breaker,may cost less than spaying it

Comment

Luckily one of the members here does this sort of thing for a living and will be sorting it for us in the near future. Thanks Animal!

Comment

Working...
                              X