Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to test the experts again

Hello everyone from the other side of the world

Got a bit of a puzzle for you all to try.
    If you are still following my old post I have now got my 2.8 short block and gaskets and seals ready to install in my surf BUT,,,,,

Official word from toyota is the head from my 2.4 will fit the 2.8 shortblock,
    same size and same valves but the only possible difference that will
    make or break the game is the two small holes in the block that only
    some 2.4 heads have or possibly only 2.8's

The holes ("hole" bottom one is a blank) is an oil breather apparently

Long story short is my heads been replaced and I dont know what it has,
    holy head or not?

How do I tell without taking the head off or is it only possible with
    the head off, I know its a tall ask and probbly know already that its impossible to know without taking the head off, but if I can save me the $150 cost of a gasket in finding out without removing the head im all the happier, and I could order a new head $800!!!!! but saves me having to order one and wait for delivery if I do end up pulling the head off and finding its wrong.

Anyway Ill stop rambling on, heres the pics and yes both are a google image search of 2.4 head, hence my confusion as to if they exist or not!

What do you all think? Im trying to avoid the cost of having to buy a head unless I have to
    Attached Files
    Its a new truck, Because every parts been replaced

Don't know, Have fitted lots of 3L heads to 2L motors, its one of the ways of getting a 'uprated head'. as they are internally different with the water way between the valves moved up.

Lots of the new heads i've fitted to 2.4's have those extra holes, new gaskets I've got from Roughtrax or Milners don't though.

Not ever done a head on a 3L so don't know if the block has matching holes. Does your 3L block? 2.4 blocks don't, I've just been and checked two.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

thanks for looking Tony,
      yes my new 2.8 block has the holes in it, rather interesting in why the 2.4's dont and what this extra breather really does

Comment

At a guess i'd say you'll not get in to much trouble, as the 2.4 heads work without them, you'll just not get any benefit that the extra holes in the 2.8 head give the head.

But don't know for sure, can't see what else they'd do apart from maybe extra lube to the cam journels, or maybe they run oil around the head to for extra help cooling instead of solid metal areas.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Ah ha I have the answer at last!

I have talked to the company who is going to rebuild my head (new valve stem seals, grind and clearances)
          They can drill the two holes into my existing head if they are not there at the moment, they are extra water cooling channels not oil breathers as toyota told me (turns out the other hole wasnt blocked off just dirty)
          He has done it before so he knows what hes doing, although ive never heard of drilling an extra hole into the water jacket

So the plan is to remove my head in the next week or two, send it in for recon and drilling if holes are not present and start assembling my new 2.8 soon

will keep you all posted on how it goes, should be rather interesting having an intercooled turbo 2.8

MORE POWER!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X