Kiss of death. Help please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kiss of death. Help please.

Just as I said she was running great and had never let me down. She has blown the 30 and 40 amp fuse in the engine bay. Now I'm in the middle of nowhere and desperate measures are needed, so I bridged the connectors and just got hot bits of metal when I tried to start her. My thiugts are knackered starter motor, anybody else any ideas?

Which ones are the 30 and 40 amp again? Alternator is 40 right so whats the 30, and somthings really not right for it to be blowing the alternator one anyway
    Its a new truck, Because every parts been replaced

Comment

Finally got home. Excuse the duplicate thread,posted on iPhone.

Parked the car up, sat for about four/five hours with the radio on low, nothing else. Went to start the car, all the ignitions light came on, turned the key to start and nothing, turned it back and all the lights had gone off on the dash, the radio, the phone charger everything.

Checked the footwell fuses, all good.Checked the engine bay fuses and the one nearest the wing had blown, so I stupidly, swapped them over. Result, two blown fuses. Anway, managed to get the green one bridged across the remaining fuse wire, had a think about things and smacked the starter a couple of times. The pink fuse was beggered, so I cobbled together a ring pull off a tin of soup, lights came on, but not enough battery life to fire the engine. Got a gamekeeper mate to come and tow me off the level. Let her roll down a hill and she bump started straight away and got me home.

Currently not using it until I get some new fuses, ring pulls are not ideal, but it got me home.

So, had the batteries drained enough, with just having the radio on for five hours or so, to semi engage the starter and jam it?

Are my batteries goosed? Been on the car since I got it.

Or is it something else?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Comment

sounds like your starter is blowing the fuses on another note you can get fuses from unipart cheap£2-4 depending on size. they were showing up at £12+ at first but with a bit of delving from a very kind parts person he ordered them for me at a fraction ebay also expensive hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by Fricfrac View Post
          So, had the batteries drained enough, with just having the radio on for five hours or so, to semi engage the starter and jam it?
          Yep, it would seem so. The starter didn't jam, it just totally flattened your batteries when it tried to start the truck.

Originally posted by Fricfrac View Post
          Are my batteries goosed? Been on the car since I got it.
          Possibly.

Try to find out what's blowing the fuses, before you do anything else. Was it the 80 amp or 100 amp fuse that blew first? From memory, the 80 amp one is nearest the wing, that's your glow plug fuse.
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Thinking on this,now I have warmed up a bit, damned cold last night.

I did bridge the terminals in the fuse holder nearest the wing, desperation in the early hours and I know it was wrong, with two screwdrives bits I had in the car, the lights came on, but it would not start and the screwdriver bits got hot. It only tried to start after I had tapped the starter with a hammer and breaker bar.

So,logically, it would appear that the starter is at fault, does that sound feasible?

Comment

I just read your other thread, I'm thinking about different fuses altogether. I can't check what fuses you're talking about, sob est wait for a grown up to help out.
              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

These mate, the other one is green. Both have a clear plastic cover on them.

Comment

Fuses 25 and 26.

Nev

Comment

Check for short in engine bay. These two fuses protect most other circuits in the vehicle. Check the battery, alternator and any other major wiring.

Nev

Comment

Nothing shorting out the glow plug buss bar is there? just a thought,
                      Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                        Nothing shorting out the glow plug buss bar is there? just a thought,
                        I had something simular, it was the inlet manifold heater wires shorting, blowing the glow plug fuse.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas guys, will work my way through them all, starting with the starter.

Comment

Unless I am going crazy he mentions nothing about the glow plug fuse, so why check that. He says it was the green and pink fuse.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
                              Unless I am going crazy he mentions nothing about the glow plug fuse, so why check that. He says it was the green and pink fuse.

Nev
                              I did Nev, but am open to any suggestions and all points are worth considering, thanks guys.

Noticed before I set off for work tht one of the battery live leads is not as tight as I would like, so will start there and work my way through all the connections, cleaning and tightening them all up.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                              X