Gasless MIG Welder??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gasless MIG Welder??????

Maybe a stupid question but how can you have a gasless MIG Welder when the IG bit stands for Inert Gas? I have the chance of buying one but would I be better off with a genuine MIG? I have a projsect to finish before Devils Pit on 5 September and I NEED to know LOL.
    It's only a hobby!

Gasless MIG works by using a special wire which is coated with a flux thus doing away with the need for the gas. It is usually recommended for use outdoors in windy conditions where the shield gas could be blown away. My MIG welder can use both methods and I think that most welders I looked at that are "gasless" could be used with gas as well.
    Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

I have a Cebora gas/gasless mig welder . I specifically bought it as I had no garage to work in and would be welding outdoors . The welds are good but are a bit unsightly . I welded part of the silver Suzuki with it and plenty of sills on cars over the years . They are worth it if you have no garage or outside welding a frame or something that is fixed . Wire is expensive , but you have no gas to buy .

Rick
      Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Cheers guys. I have been doing some reading up on some web sites and now understand the principal. I have been having a go at arc welding but I'm not doing too well. I have used my brothers MIG gear before and find it a heck of a lot easier.
        It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
          Cheers guys. I have been doing some reading up on some web sites and now understand the principal. I have been having a go at arc welding but I'm not doing too well. I have used my brothers MIG gear before and find it a heck of a lot easier.
          ARC welding is OK if you have a very low setting for the amps. I use about 45 amps for standard car body thickness. Problem with that level of current is that you need to have the piece that you are working on and the earth contact squeaky clean otherwise you'll never strike an arc. Alternatively from www.frost.co.uk you can get this http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8895

It helps you to strike an arc off the workpiece.

Cheers

Comment

This seems to be cheating ....... good idea tho'
            Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Originally posted by Gamedawn
              This seems to be cheating ....... good idea tho'
              Personally I'm a big fan of cheating ....... if you can get away with it.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
              X