Car stereo in import

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car stereo in import

The stereo in this car is one piece of junk. Radio cassette with a JVC CD Changer. The JVC was put in as an afterthought and displays an error when switched on. I can fix that. The laughable part is that the FM radio only goes from 79.0 to 88.0 so it hardly picks up any stations. I need to replace it urgently but will have to wait as I have spent all my cash on aan alarm and immobiliser to be fitted this week I hope. Also there is a set of fog lights fitted with 2 lights in the front(neither works) and a backlight which does. The switch to control them is pathetic. I can fix most of these but it will take time. These are the small things you miss when you are buying a car. Overall the vehicle is excellent. I will post images this week.
    Stephen

1992 SSR-X Grey 2.4 TD Automatic

Car stereo in import

If you are stuck for cash to buy a uk radio there is one option in that you could put a frequeny expander in the aerial line...( Warning though these have a very poor signal to noise ratio so unless you live under a transmitter it will keep dropping out) These units are about £20. Its not the best option but atleast you can listen to the radio... You never know some one on here might have one lurking...I havent i jumped on it when i ripped it out...
    Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

Originally posted by skennedy2701
      The stereo in this car is one piece of junk. Radio cassette with a JVC CD Changer. The JVC was put in as an afterthought and displays an error when switched on. I can fix that. The laughable part is that the FM radio only goes from 79.0 to 88.0 so it hardly picks up any stations. I need to replace it urgently but will have to wait as I have spent all my cash on aan alarm and immobiliser to be fitted this week I hope. Also there is a set of fog lights fitted with 2 lights in the front(neither works) and a backlight which does. The switch to control them is pathetic. I can fix most of these but it will take time. These are the small things you miss when you are buying a car. Overall the vehicle is excellent. I will post images this week.
      Reading eh?
      An awesome town!
      Not much to suggest really. The radio isnt quite right though. It's not the same 79.0-88.0. Radio 1 is usually about 98.8 but on yours you should find it around 80.8 or 81.1 so play around and you might find the stations.
      Might be worth checking e-bay for a new changer but make sure it's compatable (Pioneer works).

Comment

My first impression was to replace the lot but thats means removing the Dashboard cover. The control for the CD changer is poorly fitted and i think it is a DIY job. But I will most likely rip out the lot and fit a new one. I traded in my old car to get the Surf and there was a 4 month old CD/CD-RW/MP3/WMA player which I fitted myself. Should have taken it out !
        Stephen

Comment

Originally posted by skennedy2701
          If cash is short at the moment, get a band expander it's better than nothing. About £15 will get you one, it won't be great as the Jap radios pick up stations on odd decimals while UK transmit on even decimals however it will get you out of trouble.

For the Front fogs, check they are connected - the bull bar with fogs on may have been fitted by the dealer who may have forgot to connect to the wiring. Other than that check the bulbs - you will probably want to replace them anyway as mine only had 35 watt bulbs in them and glowworms used to take the p**s out of them.

For replacement switches try www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk/

Cheers

Comment

Not trying to be funny, but are you sure the front lights are not wired to the main beem? extra lights at the ront are often not fog lights with a switch but driving lamps wired to the main beem......just a thought.
            mudnstuff.me.uk

Comment

Originally posted by mark g8awo
              If you are stuck for cash to buy a uk radio there is one option in that you could put a frequeny expander in the aerial line...( Warning though these have a very poor signal to noise ratio so unless you live under a transmitter it will keep dropping out) These units are about £20. Its not the best option but atleast you can listen to the radio... You never know some one on here might have one lurking...I havent i jumped on it when i ripped it out...
              These frequency expanders? are they a silver box wot plugs into the areial socket. If so I had no probs with mine at all and have just taken it out when I fitted (well not me my sparky mate) my new cd/radio.So if anyone wants it.first come first served.
              sumo.
              If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

please

id love it sumo if no one else objects i can take it off ya hands on sunday at the pit pleaseeeeeeee
                black n tan
                black n tan
                yes i am a dobermann man

Comment

Originally posted by slydog
                  id love it sumo if no one else objects i can take it off ya hands on sunday at the pit pleaseeeeeeee
                  If its what you need its yours.
                  sumo.
                  If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

thanks

cheers mate it is much appreciated mark
                    black n tan
                    black n tan
                    yes i am a dobermann man

Comment

Stevie,
                      Whatever those lights are they never come on. Does anybody know if you need to replace the side front lights from behind. There are 2 phillips head screws on the exterior. I removed them but the side light caps didn,t seem to want to come off. I didn't apply too much pressure until I hear from somebody who has replaced theirs. In return for all the free advice and support I get here I can offer people help with PC problems coz thats my field.
                      Stephen

Comment

hey Skennedy,
                        i've got a frequency expander going spare and i only live in thatcham so you can have that if you want to tide you over till you get something sorted??

i'm in reading everyday delivering stuff. i've probably seen you about, i drive up and down oxford road all day in a big red truck!
                        (not the one parked at the prison are you?)

matt.
                        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

hi all
                          while were on the subject of the cassette player, well the one that came with the car, is crap, and because i used to be a boy racer type person, i dismantled everything so to put a more modern player in. now i see there is one problem.
                          as i was taken the dash out to get at the cassette player, i noticed that the dash cut out is just small enough to let the main face of the cassette player through. now on the modern players, it requires abit more space because of the surround that goes around the player, once installed.
                          also point 2, when i unscrewed the cassette player out from the brackets, i realised that the new player needs to have holes in the right places inorder to use this bracket. i was thinking of changing this bracket, but it also holds the little compartment which goes underneath the player. and it will look odd if i took that out.

all i want to know is that, has anyone successfully installed a new player without having to mess around so much?

Comment

Originally posted by civic888
                            hi all
                            while were on the subject of the cassette player, well the one that came with the car, is crap, and because i used to be a boy racer type person, i dismantled everything so to put a more modern player in. now i see there is one problem.
                            as i was taken the dash out to get at the cassette player, i noticed that the dash cut out is just small enough to let the main face of the cassette player through. now on the modern players, it requires abit more space because of the surround that goes around the player, once installed.
                            also point 2, when i unscrewed the cassette player out from the brackets, i realised that the new player needs to have holes in the right places inorder to use this bracket. i was thinking of changing this bracket, but it also holds the little compartment which goes underneath the player. and it will look odd if i took that out.

all i want to know is that, has anyone successfully installed a new player without having to mess around so much?
                            if you look on the side of any stereo the holes are there already!
                            i just fitted a kenwood and it was the easiest install i've ever done!
                            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

hi dabigone

thats good to know cause ive order a kenwood. so i dont have to change the bracket?
                              which kenwood have you got?
                              can you still put the surround over it?

Comment

Working...
                              X