Milners head fitted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milners head fitted

Ok SO the head decided to go on the truck. I went for the miners built up head as this was cheaper than roughtrax. After talking with Tonyn we decided that the head gasket and bolts from roughtrax was the better option.

So tony set about fitting the new head all Went well until the truck was started and it sounded like a machine gun.. Tony set about checking everything from valve clearances to timing all was good. The head had to come off. Once it was off it was obvious the the valves in the new head were hitting the top of the pistons and on taking measureme tony noted that the valves were protruding .7 mm out of the head. on the old head the valves are reseed by 2mm
    Phone call to miners and spoke to Carl. He arranged a replacement to be sent out with new gasket and head bolts. Again we decided not to use the Milner gasket but to go the genuine Toyota.

Tony then set about fitting the new replacement head and I get a text saying its purring like a kitten. Drove home tonight with no problems at all truck is running perfectly.

Milners said that they a two suppliers of heads and that they are concerned in case the machine had thrown a wobbly with one of the suppliers although they had not received any other complaints, this could be due to the fact oothers are not as conciensoiue as tony when it comes to fitting.
    So the question are milners heads any good? Well if it had not been for the issue of the first one then it's seems that they aren't bad. So ifs anyone is thinking of going down the milners route I hope that you learn from my experience and ask them to make sure that the valves are set into the head with a 2mm reses.
    I will be contacting milners tomorrow to try and get some of the labour cost back. I will let you know how this goes, but up to now the customer service has not been bad.

Colin
    SWIFT AND BOLD

That kind of thing usually happens to me, good that you've got it sorted though.
    If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Thanks si. We tend to shy away from milners a bit due to quality, so I am using this a a bit of an experiment. Can't knock there customer service
      SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

I certainly hope that you get all of the cost back, that should never have been sent out like that.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your engine troubles but glad it's all fixed now. Any idea why the head went in the first place? Is this going to be a more common problem with 3rd Gens as they get older?

Comment

Just old age the truck has done over 230000 k so it's done well there were no signs of over heating.
            SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Sclerotic Hen View Post
              Sorry to hear about your engine troubles but glad it's all fixed now. Any idea why the head went in the first place? Is this going to be a more common problem with 3rd Gens as they get older?
              I wouldn't worry, just service it regular & drive it.
              If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Good luck with trying to get your costs back. When I tried getting my costs back, they sent me a engineers report to disclaim my claim for costs. The engineers report contradicted itself. So, I don't buy from them again. Been dealing with Roughtrax ever since & never had a problem with them.
                You might update to let us know how you got on.
                www.grovegarage.co.uk

Comment

Bit off topic but went to fit some Milners uprated rear springs today that were ordered over the net. Not sure what springs they are but they are a very long way away from anything that will fit a Surf, far too large in overall diameter. Be interesting to see what they say tomorrow.

Please you got the head sorted, are they AMC or another pattern? My truck is coming up to 200,000 km and still on the original.

Cheers

Ben

Comment

They are another pattern, they say they can sell them cheaper due the the amounts they buy. I have had stuff sent out wrong by milners in the past. The md must pull his hair out
                    SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Ben_D View Post
                      Bit off topic but went to fit some Milners uprated rear springs today that were ordered over the net. Not sure what springs they are but they are a very long way away from anything that will fit a Surf, far too large in overall diameter. Be interesting to see what they say tomorrow.
                      Perhaps you ordered the LC80 ones by mistake?
                      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                        Perhaps you ordered the LC80 ones by mistake?
                        Nope, they just accidentally sent me out Shogun springs. Didn't really look at them until I had the truck in bits, won't make that mistake again! New set sent out today so hopefully get them on this week.

Cheers

Ben

Comment

Well. Got a cheque through from from milners for 335.00 to cover the labour following the faulty head they supplied. I have to say their customer service has been 1st class.
                          SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Thats good news, most places don't cover extra labour, just parts.

Was wondering how you got on, nice to know we where right about the problem too.

Your round in the Jolly next time you're up then? ...
                            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

It will be my round.
                              SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Working...
                              X