Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old newbie with Qs

Hi there,

Been registered here for years, after working on my mates old pickup, but now I've finally got myself a tidy 3.0D, I've just re-appeared...

I'll be exporting my truck back with me to the Caribbean, and there's some BIG steep hills on my island. Naturally I'm looking to prep it as much as possible before taking it away,especially with regards to potential overheating issues, and parts that will be cheaper here than to ship.

Roughtrax radiator caught my eye:

3 row rad
    Are these as good as they look, and an improvement over stock?

Secondly, i was thinking of a small lift, but am not decided on whether the car already has one.

Picture here:

Does this look std height, but with maybe sagging rear - or maybe already a small 2" lift with sagging rear? Owner wasn't certain.

I'm budget constrained now due to shipping costs, so was thinking maybe just the rear coilsprings from Roughtrax, and front torsion bars:
    http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=11&cid=165

I know I should do shocks as well, but will have to wait for now I think. Hoping a low mileage one like this would be OK, or can anyone say from experience that I'd be creating a wobbly monster if I didn't wait for the shocks?

Cheers

Dom
    RZN185 1" lift, 32s - KZN130 2" lift, 32s

OK, a lot more searching has yielded results - sorry - bad form on my part.
    http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=57638

...is obviously the main thread. So for my purposes, Roughtrax rear spring, or maybe even Milners should suffice along with std. shocks, and winding up the front bars for now.

can do bars and shocks later.

Still, can someone tell me whether this looks std height or not?
    Seems high to me, but the rear looks a little saggy which I wouldn't expect with a lift?
    Last edited by boma23; 9 March 2012, 03:48.

Comment

Hi Boma, looks standard height to me.

Get yourself 2" rear springs and 4 2"shocks and wind the Torsion bars up to match the back

Also you could get a 2" body lift done they aren't expensive, search for xpajun on ebay I think they are about £70

Comment

cheers Ballsy - if it looks std then I'll just stick with rear springs then for now as am on budget. Radiator is more important with where it's going, and I'm already broke with buying and shipping it (which is going to cost more than buying it ). Still be better and cheaper than anything local though!

Comment

I bet it's costing a small fortune to ship.

If you get a boot liner I could stow away in the back and be your chauffeur in the Caribbean

Comment

if you don't mind sharing with an engine on a pallet, you're in! You'll be better security than the insurance which doesn't cover vehicle contents in transit...

shipping is more than the truck itself, but still worth it compared to an equivalent vehicle here.

On which note:

Has anyone ever put an engine on a pallet in their Surf boot? I'm planning on putting an old VW TD (AAZ) engine in there, for transplant into my battered old Vitara island jeep. It looks a big enough space but I'm not certain...

the Roughtrax springs might have "settled" a bit by the time it arrives...

Comment

actually, it should be more than high enough, so I'll re-phrase:

Can you fit a standard pallet flat on the boot floor?

Comment

Originally posted by boma23 View Post
                Hi there,

Been registered here for years, after working on my mates old pickup, but now I've finally got myself a tidy 3.0D, I've just re-appeared...

I'll be exporting my truck back with me to the Caribbean, and there's some BIG steep hills on my island. Naturally I'm looking to prep it as much as possible before taking it away,especially with regards to potential overheating issues, and parts that will be cheaper here than to ship.

Roughtrax radiator caught my eye:

3 row rad
                Are these as good as they look, and an improvement over stock?

Secondly, i was thinking of a small lift, but am not decided on whether the car already has one.

Does this look std height, but with maybe sagging rear - or maybe already a small 2" lift with sagging rear? Owner wasn't certain.

I'm budget constrained now due to shipping costs, so was thinking maybe just the rear coilsprings from Roughtrax, and front torsion bars:
                http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=11&cid=165

I know I should do shocks as well, but will have to wait for now I think. Hoping a low mileage one like this would be OK, or can anyone say from experience that I'd be creating a wobbly monster if I didn't wait for the shocks?

Cheers

Dom
                Yeah m8 , I got mine in jan and it looked excatly the same ( saggy ) , i replaced the Rear Coil Springs - 2" lift & rancho5000 shocks, cranked up the torsion and now it dont sag the ride and roll is better , great mods. got it all at roughtrax 79.99 for springs and 47.50 for each shocks

some pics so ya can see what look like

Last edited by MIleshighhopes; 17 March 2012, 00:12.
                Everywhere I go .... Im there

Comment

I had a RT Radiator fail in two years, top tank solder joint, managed to resolder myself. I would personally go for genuine Toyota now for things like that.

Comment

Working...
                  X