Quick gearbox question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick gearbox question

Does an automatic gearbox in a 3rd gen have a gearbox oil filter?

Roughtrax doesn't stock them, and Toyota weren't sure. I can't find it in my service manual either.

Thanks.

G.box filter

David,how do.Dont quote me on this but if you remove the "sump" from the gearbox,and then the 2 tubes that need to be removed carefully,above(or behind) them you will see the squarish filter,about 6" by 4",held in place by several bolts,remove and replace with new,refit tubes carefully and then apply a thin layer of rtv sealant to new gasket,the trouble is some people,including my local Toyota agent tell me there is no gasket,just use rtv,yet the Haynes manual states that there is a gasket,I would think RTV to be enough,the main thing is,be careful putting the tubes back,dont force them.Good luck,Alan

P.S. Dont forget ATF fluid

Comment

Thanks for that, Alan.

I think that the fun bit is going to be trying to source the parts. Roughtrax don't stock a filter for the gearbox. I think it could be a case of head to Toyota and talk to the parts guy face to face rather than over the phone; that's worked before.

Comment

Its not a filter you need to change. It's just a wire gauze.

I'd only pull it apart if you have gearbox issues, if the oil looks clean you really don't need to worry about it.

TBH, its more of a risk you'll get crap inside the gearbox doing it, autoboxes need to opened in really clean areas unless you're desperate.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthrea...light=strainer

Comment

That's fantastic, thanks. Judging by this and another thread, I really amn't using the search function properly!

The reason my mechanic suggested changing a filter was because of my description of the problem.

When I'm pulling off I'm not getting any movement when I accelerate, then it kicks in like I've popped the clutch in a manual. However, this isn't all the time, and once I hit second gear everything seems to work fine.

Because I'm mechanically inept I have to rely on other peoples experience with similar problems, and my mechanic has to rely on my half-arsed descriptions of the problems!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fey! View Post

When I'm pulling off I'm not getting any movement when I accelerate, then it kicks in like I've popped the clutch in a manual. However, this isn't all the time, and once I hit second gear everything seems to work fine.

Thats usually due to not enough ATF. Make sure you check the level with the engine running.

Comment

Thanks. It was checked at the last service, but I'm a little overdue a full service at the moment.

Is there a particular ATF fluid you recommend, or is the fluid used in Landrovers good enough?

EDIT; I just figured out that when I pull out of my driveway, which is about a 30 degree downward gradient, I have no problems, but starting off on a flat or slight uphill is problematic. That would fit with fluid levels.

Offroading last week it was a pain in the backside; I ended up doing sections in reverse because of the problems pulling off, much to Daras amusement!
                Last edited by Fey!; 5 March 2012, 23:40.

Comment

Look in the Lexurf conversion parts list, there's a link to some good quality ATF there.

Comment

Working...
                  X