Propshaft Balancing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propshaft Balancing

Does anyone know anywhere to have this done at a reasonable price? There are plenty of threads on here where folk say they've had it done, for very reasonable prices; but I can't find any that say where they had it done.

Our local Propshaft place wants £180 +VAT to do mine, that includes 2 UJs and checking the shaft alignment. They don't balance them.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

i had mine done at Propshaft tec in rotherham cost 65 quid with vat

http://www.propshafttechnology.co.uk/
    cant spell it right so i get thee a link

i do wish people would not talk to me while iam typeing i then type what iam saying so my posts then make no sense
    nothing new there i know but still buggs the crap out of me
    Last edited by JUDWAK; 2 March 2012, 18:45.
    am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
      Does anyone know anywhere to have this done at a reasonable price? There are plenty of threads on here where folk say they've had it done, for very reasonable prices; but I can't find any that say where they had it done.

Our local Propshaft place wants £180 +VAT to do mine, that includes 2 UJs and checking the shaft alignment. They don't balance them.
      Andy, I think John Mackie Automatics in Glasgow used to do propshaft ballancing. I'm not certain, but they may be worth a call. They're down London road, past the Celtic ground.

Edit. Just remembered Strathclyde Gearboxes. They do propshaft work. (A T Engineering (Propshafts) Ltd.). They are in Rutherglen.
      Last edited by MWS; 2 March 2012, 20:23.
      " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

just wondered why it needs balanced.

i've always found if the joints are good and the yokes are lined up they work fine.

i line the yokes on a lathe to make sure the sliding spline is right - its easy to be a spline out doing it by eye or with a straight edge.

Comment

I havent had a prop balanced for a few years but I have previously used this place,

http://www.commercial-propshafts.co.uk/

It was about £45 the last time I had one done, bit far for you but if you cant improve on that price it may still work out cheaper to courier it over, wouldnt hurt to give them a ring and ask.

Comment

Do you actually have a problem with it? Or is your inner perfectionist trying to empty your wallet for you?

I've never had to get one done, even when mixing and matching yokes from damaged shafts.

Unless you've a balencing weight thats been knocked off when offroading, or still have a vibe after doing the CV's and checking the yokes are aligned properly its probably overkill.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

You can even do a tidy job with 2 jubille clips and trial and error,i.e. place them where you think needed then move them around and try till you get no vibration. Did this a few years back after fitting E type engine and box into PA Vauxhall Cresta result no vibes.

{IF IT AINT BROKE MODIFY IT}

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                Do you actually have a problem with it? Or is your inner perfectionist trying to empty your wallet for you?
                It's a bit of both. I have an annoying vibration through the truck when it's driving, all is OK when on the overrun.

The engine and gearbox mountings are OK, the wheels are balanced (tried swapping them end-to-end too), the UJs are new, the front drivetrain isn't moving so it's not that, there is no noise from the diff, soI can't see it being that, there's nothing fouling anywhere and everything is greased to within an inch of its existance (bar the sliding joint, it's just lightly greased); I just have a vibration when on load.

The rear wheel bearings are needing to be done, so I'm just looking ahead to see what I can do next if the vibration persists. I have a spare propshaft, so was thinking I could have that checked and swap it over at some point.

Comment

I would have thought that the propshaft (if out of balance) would vibrate all the time it was rotating? and on or off load the thing is still turning.
                  What would alter on or off load would be the drive angle between the diff pinion and the gearbox....are the rear suspension bushes in good order?
                  What have I told you about thinking Erroll

Comment

Originally posted by meooo View Post
                    I would have thought that the propshaft (if out of balance) would vibrate all the time it was rotating? and on or off load the thing is still turning.
                    What would alter on or off load would be the drive angle between the diff pinion and the gearbox....are the rear suspension bushes in good order?
                    Where the load is on the propshaft will change when it's loaded, a bit like a diff whining when on load but ok when not. The vibration eased a bit when I swapped the UJs.

Everything everywhere in the drive train is fine, bar those wheel bearings. The load on them doesn't change depending on load (which is one of the ways to tell whether it's diff. or wheel bearings that are whining), so the only thing left is the propshaft?

The vibration is a bit worse between about 55 and 65mph, but as I said, the wheel balance is OK and the vibration persisted after I'd swapped wheels front to back.

Comment

thats a weird one - have you checked the spline is good in the sliding yoke. if the uj's are good thats all thats left. i've never balanced a prop - even on ones i've shortened and made up although they were all machined in the lathe before welding.

lexurf v had a similar vibration - have you lifted the truck, it makes the spline work in a different place. on mine a prop spacer and turning the front yoke 180 degrees in the spine with heavier grease cured it. turning the yoke and the grease cured the vibration before i fitted a spacer but it was running a bit far out of the spline for my liking.

Comment

Originally posted by gary-r View Post
                        thats a weird one - have you checked the spline is good in the sliding yoke. if the uj's are good thats all thats left. i've never balanced a prop - even on ones i've shortened and made up although they were all machined in the lathe before welding.

lexurf v had a similar vibration - have you lifted the truck, it makes the spline work in a different place. on mine a prop spacer and turning the front yoke 180 degrees in the spine with heavier grease cured it. turning the yoke and the grease cured the vibration before i fitted a spacer but it was running a bit far out of the spline for my liking.
                        I'm with you on the balancing, never had to do it before. The truck is lifted, but the splines looked clean and slid easily.

I might just strip, clean and rebuild my spare prop (from my old 2.4) and see how it goes. What's the worst that can happen

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                          I'm with you on the balancing, never had to do it before. The truck is lifted, but the splines looked clean and slid easily.

I might just strip, clean and rebuild my spare prop (from my old 2.4) and see how it goes. What's the worst that can happen

It'll vibrate?

I have that rag joint replacement plate here ready to send by the way.
                          I deleted your PM with your address in it though.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                            I deleted your PM with your address in it though.
                            Just as well maybe!

I'll PM my current, holding, address later.

Comment

Working...
                            X