New from South Africa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New from South Africa

Hi guys, my name is Francisco and I have just become the proud owner of a 91' Surf 2.4td. It has a few minor issues but I am looking forward to the chalenge. Wil post a pic as soon as I have taken a few.

I am a member of the South African fourm "Hilux4x4.co.za" but there are only 1 or so Surfs there so thats how I joined here. I have a few questions, what is the 2.4td fuel consumption? Any one who will be able to help me with a pic of the correctsequence for the boost pipes? When I bought it the check engine light stayed on and after scratcing around I found that most of the boost pipes were of and in the wron places.played around and seems to work fine now. Check engine light is off and turbo light comes on after say 2000 revs. Extremely slugish before the turbo kicks in, is this normal?

Does anyone know where I mightbe able to get the trim around the front windshield and a steering wheel online or something?

Sorry for all the questions on the first thread.

Hello Francisco. Welcome to the forum. Join in the fun. I'd never heard of www.Hilux4x4.co.za before. Think I'll take a look..... Cheers....Mick.
    " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Hello and welcome.

Where in SA are you? I was born in the Eastern Cape but lived all over. We moved every 6 - 18 months with my Dads work.

Keep an eye on the front wheel bearings, make sure they're kept tight, especially if you drive a lot on the dirt roads. Apologies if you already know this.

Comment

Originally posted by Ali3n View Post
        what is the 2.4td fuel consumption?
        Good questio that one. Anywhere between 350 to 650Ks per tank. I get up around the 650. Depends on driving style, conditions and engine condition along with lots of other things such as condition of bearings brakes etc.

Take a look at this thread regarding resistors on the injector pump.

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/v...ic.php?t=29886

Here for the vacuum hoses and boost hose.

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/turbovacuum.htm

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/v...ic.php?t=25419

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9859

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by MWS View Post
          Hello Francisco. Welcome to the forum. Join in the fun. I'd never heard of www.Hilux4x4.co.za before. Think I'll take a look..... Cheers....Mick.
          Hi Mick, I have been a member of the Hilux4x4 fourm since 2010. They were the only guys that accepted me with my little Terios 4x4. Atleast I can post a pic of it. Still have not had a chance to take photos of the Surf… My Terios was actually published in our local 4x4 magazing in October 2011. Quite proud of that. It is the only one like it in SA. Wanted to make a point with it.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Long way 'round View Post
            Hello and welcome.

Where in SA are you? I was born in the Eastern Cape but lived all over. We moved every 6 - 18 months with my Dads work.

Keep an eye on the front wheel bearings, make sure they're kept tight, especially if you drive a lot on the dirt roads. Apologies if you already know this.
            HHi, I stay in Gauteng. Roodepoort actually if you know where that is. I know the feeling of moving around every 6 months… My dad used to move around as well. I hear that about them, I have checked them and they seem fine at the moment but I will be doing quite a lot of obstacles and dirt road driving so will be sure to keep an eye on them. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
              Good questio that one. Anywhere between 350 to 650Ks per tank. I get up around the 650. Depends on driving style, conditions and engine condition along with lots of other things such as condition of bearings brakes etc.

Take a look at this thread regarding resistors on the injector pump.

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/v...ic.php?t=29886

Here for the vacuum hoses and boost hose.

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/turbovacuum.htm

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/v...ic.php?t=25419

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9859

Nev
              Thanks for the info. I got the vehicle on Friday last week and with the turbo boost pipes being a problem I didn’t drive it much but so far I have driven 370km on the first tank and it is between empty and the quarter mark on the fuel gauge so this might be the norm. I am however going to have it checked because it seems to be extremely sluggish. Just doesn’t feel right but to be honest, I am no expert, besides this is the first Surf I have owned.

Thanks for all the advice and lovely welcoming. You guys make me feel at home…

Comment

We lived just the other side of Jo'berg in Heidelberg for a year or two and my Dad worked for Westinghouse in Vereeniging. At that time my Dad drove a Ford Ranchero.
                Last edited by Long way 'round; 28 February 2012, 19:18.

Comment

Welcome to the nuthouse Francisco
                  www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by tintin View Post
                    Welcome to the nuthouse Francisco
                    Thanks man, I am used to being in a nuthouse.

Comment

welcome to the forum,

i grew up in the eastern transvaal myself, must have been a common thing is SA cause my dads job with Mondi Sawmills every 6 months or so as well...

Comment

Originally posted by BigBobE View Post
                        welcome to the forum,

i grew up in the eastern transvaal myself, must have been a common thing is SA cause my dads job with Mondi Sawmills every 6 months or so as well...
                        Thanks. That must have been many moons ago, haven't heard "eastern transvaal" or "transvaal" for that matter in a long loooong time. Shows you how things change.

Comment

Originally posted by Ali3n View Post
                          Thanks. That must have been many moons ago, haven't heard "eastern transvaal" or "transvaal" for that matter in a long loooong time. Shows you how things change.
                          its easier to spell transvaal than mpumalanga...

i left SA in 1990, been living in ireland since

Comment

Originally posted by BigBobE View Post
                            its easier to spell transvaal than mpumalanga...

i left SA in 1990, been living in ireland since
                            Haha, I agree.
                            Have you ever come back for a visit or so?

Comment

We left in '85, lived in England ever since. I've been back 3 times.

One trip was a family send off for my Dad, we started in Jo'berg rented a Merc. Veto and trailer. The first stop was to scatter his ashes at Gods Window, then onto Kruger National Park from there to Golden gate then down the garden route with many stops on the way especially in Knysna, from there to Cape Town then back up through the karoo stopping at Zebra Park and back again to Jo'berg.

It took us 5 weeks in all. I'd love to do it all again in the Surf.

Comment

Working...
                              X