yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How warm is a 5 speed gearbox meant to get? its HOT!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How warm is a 5 speed gearbox meant to get? its HOT!!

Just a random thought/panic,
    Noticed my rear diff and gearbox (R150) was stupidly hot yesterday so in a panic thinking somthing was really wrong went and changed the oils to be safe. Diff oil was black and gearbox was light brown, transfer case however was milk colour obviously water found its way into transfer case. All these oils had been changed 12 months ago.

long story short, my gearbox is still burning hot to the touch and has a oil smell inside the cab despite new oils, whats wrong as this dosent seem right to be this hot?

Also side question, rear diff oil pitch black after being changed 12 months ago???
    Its open diff btw so not black from clutch packs. Why?

Leaking real main seal into the bellhoising too, might finally be time to retire the poor old girl and sell her for parts
    Its a new truck, Because every parts been replaced

Ok I found why there was still a gearbox oil smell in the cab, left the rag I used to clean up after changing the gearbox and diff oil in the back didnt I.....

But the gearbox itself still gets really hot only after a half hour drive, and has a faint whine noise too.
    Any ideas people or just drive it till she dies, good thing about my country is that surfs are so common and a dime a dozen here so if it pops its gearbox I can get a second hand replacement the same day and install it overnight and no one even knows it was broken
    Last edited by Kiwisurfing; 27 February 2012, 06:45. Reason: my spelling is O for awesome
    Its a new truck, Because every parts been replaced

Comment

My old V6 manual 4Runner would melt Mars Bars in the center console, not as hot as the Auto trans tunnel gets, but still noticably hot.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
      X