yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where's best to buy a new Cylinder Head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where's best to buy a new Cylinder Head?

Hi there!

Where is the best place to buy a new cylinder head for my 3.0td Gen 3 Surf? There used to be an advertisement on the top of the home page, but it's changed to Adrian Flux now, and I already asked them.. He he

And if I buy a bare head, do I need to grind my valves in or do anything else apart from bolt stuff onto it?

Cheers,

Curly

Stevo at the engine company in Stockport.
    Engine re-manufacturing re-conditioning repairs MOT stockport ...
    www.engineco.co.uk

Or roughtrax.I would be inclined to get the built up head so its all complete and ready to fit
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by Curly View Post
      And if I buy a bare head, do I need to grind my valves in or do anything else apart from bolt stuff onto it?
      The clue is in the word 'bare'. I wouldn't even think about that option, especially when a fully built head is on offer for a few quid more.
      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
        The clue is in the word 'bare'. I wouldn't even think about that option, especially when a fully built head is on offer for a few quid more.
        I figured that I would need to put the valves etc onto the bare head, but just wondered if I needed any special tools apart from the valve spring compressor and the spinny twiddly valve grindy thing?

Also, my original Toyota parts would be of better quality than pattern stuff wouldn't they? So maybe getting a bare head would be better once my original cam shaft, valves, rockers etc are fitted?

Tell me if I'm talking shat obviously..

Cheers,

Curly

Comment

My head failed on my 3rd gen, I bought the complete kit from Roughtrax and i aint had a problem since mate.
          By the way, The job is pretty easy just be steady and take lots of pictures for future reference! It took me and a friend around 4.1/2hrs to refit and get running but, i had already got everything cleaned and prepared while waiting for the head to arrive. (next day if ordered before 3pm i think)
          Last edited by tonupteabag; 21 February 2012, 21:50.
          I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

I figured that I would need to put the valves etc onto the bare head, but just wondered if I needed any special tools apart from the valve spring compressor and the spinny twiddly valve grindy thing?

Also, my original Toyota parts would be of better quality than pattern stuff wouldn't they? So maybe getting a bare head would be better once my original cam shaft, valves, rockers etc are fitted?

Cheers,

Curly

Get some input from people who've done both - TonyN has done quite a few heads so he'd be a good starting point

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Cheers,

Curly

The fact that you used the term 'spinny twiddly valve grindy thing' is more than enough reason why you should buy a complete, ready to fit cylinder head don't you think?

Comment

What about the bouncy springy, valvey whatisname.
                Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Dom't forget the thing that goes "ping!"
                  "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                  www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Spend the extra on a built head unless you're really desperate, if only to save you the hassle of setting the valve clearances, the shims are expensive to buy and time consuming to set.

Yes, you'd not want to just bung your valves straight into new valve seats, they'd need cleaning, checking and grinding.

I always use built heads as the extra price is far less than what I'd have to charge extra to build up a bare head, and its pointless for the customer to pay for.

If you're doing it yourself and have all the time in the world then it could be a way of saving money. As long as you know what you're doing. (not that I'm suggesting you don't.. )

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Hi Curly, I have been after an intercooled surf for a while now I would be interested in buying it as it is. Send me an email please on juniorjay0@gmail.com. I have a friend who could charge me next to nothing for labour.
                      Kind regards
                      Jay

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                        The fact that you used the term 'spinny twiddly valve grindy thing' is more than enough reason why you should buy a complete, ready to fit cylinder head don't you think?
                        Lol! I have built up and fitted a few heads before, and do have a pretty good mind for these things, but must admit, I'd rather buy a built up head if poss.

I just thought the genuine Toyota cam shaft and valves/springs would be better quality than the pattern parts which would be used in the heads available online from companies like roughtrax and the ones on eBay etc.

I am ideally looking now for a genuine Toyota built up head as I read on one of TonyN's posts that they are only around £800.

But I don't know where to look.. Apart from Toyota obviously.

Cheers,

Curly

Comment

Lol! I have built up and fitted a few heads before, and do have a pretty good mind for these things, but must admit, I'd rather buy a built up head if poss.

I just thought the genuine Toyota cam shaft and valves/springs would be better quality than the pattern parts which would be used in the heads available online from companies like roughtrax and the ones on eBay etc.

I am ideally looking now for a genuine Toyota built up head as I read on one of TonyN's posts that they are only around £800.

But I don't know where to look.. Apart from Toyota obviously.

Cheers,

Curly
                          Steve at the engine.company in Stockport.

Comment

The built heads are supplied with Toyota cams and valve gear. When you return your old head the cam,buckets and valve gear are removed checked for tolerence and reused in another fully built head.

Regards

Mark

Comment

Hehe...you had an argument.
                              Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Working...
                              X