Dumb Questions - Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb Questions - Part 2

I had a problem with the last post so I am trying again. I have just bought a 1992 SSR-X from Penfolds in Surrey. Not sure about the dealer but he seems OK. I have a couple of minor issues to start with.
    1. There is a toolkit in the back but no car jack. Anybody know where I can get one. Halfords sell a 2 or 3 ton jack. Can this be used for a Hilux.
    2. There seems to be something odd going on with the headlights. When I move the headlght control to the first position only the backlights come on. Full headlights work OK. I have noticed when I do this that the backlights in the Dashboard go dimmer which suggsets to me an electrical problem. I have ordered a workshop manual, the Ellery press one, so i may look at the electrics when I get this.
    Stephen

1992 SSR-X Grey 2.4 TD Automatic

Originally posted by skennedy2701
    I had a problem with the last post so I am trying again. I have just bought a 1992 SSR-X from Penfolds in Surrey. Not sure about the dealer but he seems OK. I have a couple of minor issues to start with.
    1. There is a toolkit in the back but no car jack. Anybody know where I can get one. Halfords sell a 2 or 3 ton jack. Can this be used for a Hilux.
    2. There seems to be something odd going on with the headlights. When I move the headlght control to the first position only the backlights come on. Full headlights work OK. I have noticed when I do this that the backlights in the Dashboard go dimmer which suggsets to me an electrical problem. I have ordered a workshop manual, the Ellery press one, so i may look at the electrics when I get this.
    Have a wee look under the back seat for your jack
    Might be there
    Keith
    I never ever apologise for anything. http://www.onestopshopformultimedia.com/smile.gif If you dont like it I am sorry but thats the way I am

Comment

Another local!!!

Welcome aboard Stephen!!! Give me a wave if you see me!!!

Linda
      Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

You only needed to go back and edit the last post , anyway it's done now .

maybe a dumb answer but have you checked the front side light bulbs .

Comment

(1) Back seat on the left.Look for a strap between front and back of seat and this will release the locking mechanism when you pull it.

(2) As Andy says check the bulbs.Dash lights dimming slightly is not unusual.

Neville

Comment

took me ages just to find the blinking straps lol
            Dave

Comment

This forum is quick and extremely. Found the jack. Haven't checked the bulbs but if they are both gone how did it pass an MOT. I only picked it up on saturday morning and the MOT is dated last wednesday 01/10/2003. Another dumb question. Do you need to jack up the Surf to flush the coolant.
              Stephen

Comment

This forum is quick and extremely. Found the jack. Haven't checked the bulbs but if they are both gone how did it pass an MOT. I only picked it up on saturday morning and the MOT is dated last wednesday 01/10/2003. Another dumb question. Do you need to jack up the Surf to flush the coolant.
                Don't know about the bulbs - if the lights didn't come on in the MOT them maybe they didn't notice )often they only check to see if the rear ones come on and switch direct to headlamp dip beam. They might have missed that the lamps are separate and assumed the sidelamps were in the headlamp unit.

It is quite possible that both bulbs may have gone, my brake light bulb went between my house and the MOT station (about 2 miles) and I'd only changed it the day before.

No you don't need to jack up the car to flush the coolant, the drain plug is hard to reach but is best accessed through the nearside wheelarch.

Good luck

Comment

Did the people who sold you the surf also do or obtain the MOT ?

No need to jack her up for the flush, no. plenty of rrrrroooooom.
                  Nili secundum desperandum

Comment

Thanks for the tips Andy. All this is invaluable to a new Surfer. My last car was an Audi A4 so you can see the difference. i will post the results of my attempts of my virgin coolnat flush next week.
                    Stephen

Comment

It was already MOT'd when I picked it up by a garage local to the dealer.
                      Stephen

Comment

It was already MOT'd when I picked it up by a garage local to the dealer.
                        did you get it from that place in arborfield?
                        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

No. I got it from Penfolds in Surrey !!
                          Stephen

Comment

Working...
                          X