Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An interesting question

Here's a poser for you all !!!

Can the rear fog light be legally replaced by use of a high level brake light mounted on the bumper ?

Looking for a way to get a stylish replacement for my swinging (yep hypnotising following cars) fog light, one that will not be knocked off when off roading.

As both are normally @21w surely it should be ok - what's your opinions ?

Trev
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Somebody's gonna know better than me but I thought a rear fog light had to have the correct E mark approval to be legal. Not sure a brake light would have this. I bought a Halford's unit and mounted it on the tailgate - a neater way would be to get hold of a 4Runner lamp - I think they were sunk into the tailgate.
    Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Do you know a freindly MOT chap? sure he would know.

Steve
      Should have bought a 3ltr

Comment

i just mounted my fog light in the bumper, simple. Why do you wanna use a brake light??

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo7
          i just mounted my fog light in the bumper, simple. Why do you wanna use a brake light??
          thats what i did too not a big job and the look good too
          Attached Files
          xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Followed a Mitsibushi colt LE the other day and noticed it had a nice fog lamp unit placed in the bumper separate from the other lights. Must ring up my local Mitsibushi dealer and price the entire unit - think it could be put in a surf's bumper no problem

Comment

Originally posted by BUZZ
              Followed a Mitsibushi colt LE the other day and noticed it had a nice fog lamp unit placed in the bumper separate from the other lights. Must ring up my local Mitsibushi dealer and price the entire unit - think it could be put in a surf's bumper no problem
              Go down the scrapyard, you are bound to find an early 1990s Honda with an inset rear fog lamp, take the whole unit out and cut it into the bumper.

You can also get them new from Honda, Toyota, Mitsubishi etc etc.

Cheers

Comment

Not sure that a centre fog light would be legal - all the single fog light units you see are mounted on the offside of the vehicle. Also all lights have to be between centain heights and I suspect that this would be outside those limits.

[SIZE=7][COLOR=YellowGreen][SIZE=5][FONT=Comic Sans MS]The difference between the men and the boys .................... the price of their toys ![/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by UKWolf
                  Not sure that a centre fog light would be legal - all the single fog light units you see are mounted on the offside of the vehicle. Also all lights have to be between centain heights and I suspect that this would be outside those limits.

The legal requirements as defined in The Road Vehicles Lighting Regs, 1986, can be found HERE.

However, check the bottom of THIS PAGE, from the MOT Testers Manual, to see what they check for.
                  Never argue with an idiot... they drag you down to their level - then beat you with experience!!

Comment

Working...
                  X