• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @ oneidadan

Well, how is she?
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Hello!
    The truck is doing OK thankyou, I've got a few minutes spare (kiddies finally asleep) so I'll give you the long version of what I've been up to .

Mainly just been doing little jobs on it since I got it, as you know the speedo wasn't working, so tried a new sensor in the gearbox, which didn't work. Tried without the kph/mph converter and that didn't sort it, so tried a new speedo unit and that sorted it. also changed all the bulbs whilst the speedo head was out. I installed a new head unit and stereo brackets so now I got blue tooth through the stereo. Also changed a little cable that controlled the heater vent positions as that had died.

Done lots of services, recently changed the diff fluids. The aerial had got bent too, and the little 'tail' bit had snapped off inside the motor, so took that apart and replaced. The rear diff breather had got snagged on the exhaust and melted so I changed that and installed a front diff breather too.

Replaced the exhaust with a stainless system, still exits in the same place however.

Got a useless garage to underseal it, which turned into a bit of a saga, but eventually I ended up doing it properly, cleaned chassis down thoroughly and applied waxoyl to everything including inside the chassis.

The roof console fell off on one side so I've put that back up, it's very funny listening to the town centre wardens on the scanner, there's some seriously random thieving going on in Mansfield

The transmission cooler fan died so replaced that, twice.

Just replaced the batteries and the rear brake shoes, still got the fronts to do however I might wait a little longer until I can get the front wheel bearings, as I figure I might as well do them if they have to come out to replace the front disks. I'm a bit worried though that I might not be able to figure out how the manual hubs go back on

I've been having a little problem with the brakes but I'm slowly replacing different parts to see if they sort it out.

The rock sliders became a little project of their own. They had started to rust quite badly on the outside and inside, the inside was especially tricky to get to to clean them so I tried a little bit of electrolysis with a lot of help from the Internet and Matt from next door, here's a piccie:

During last years snow I did a little bit of 4x4 response work and some of the people I was picking up were finding it a bit difficult to get in the thing, also my wife was pregnant again (and she's very ickle) so I thought it might be a good idea to attach some kind of step to the rock sliders to help people getting in and out of it. I got someone at work to weld them up, although they slightly misinterpreted the drawings (I say slightly, actually they completely ingnored them and did their own thing), so although they are very useful for getting in and out I fear they maight hamper it's offroad ability slightly. I've dubbed them rock Tw@tters.

I've not done as much offroading with it as I'd like, unfortunately I lost my job in 2010 and I took on a part time job which was less pay, but at least it payed the bills (just) which meant offroading had to be scaled back a bit. Just before Christmas though the boss took all the money out of the business account and f'cked off so I'm a bit poor at the mo.
    I was in the process of starting the intercooler install but that's had to be scrapped for the time being, also need to change the spare wheel as I bent it on a rock.
    Here's a few pictures of it, unfortunately I've not got pictures of everywhere we've been but hope these are OK

Local green lanes with a friend

At North Yorkshire offroad site

In Derbyshire

In the snow

Most recent, proudly displaying the Rock Tw@tters (TM)

Haven't got any of the landrover show at Manby which is a shame as it was the best day out offroading I've had.

Sorry to waffle on I think I've included everything. Do you think you'll be getting another truck? I'm hoping one day I'll be able to afford one of these:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-ge...ad-pics-2.html
    Last edited by oneidadan; 10 January 2012, 23:38.

Comment

That's all very well, but how is she?

http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/h...t=DSCF3433.jpg

password is Wolfracer
      "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
      www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Excellent thankyou, have you been back there recently?

Comment

Looking great mate! Must admit I feel a wee pang. I still remember the tail lights disappearing down the road and thinking 'f*ck, what have I done' - and then never really feeling the love for the GT-Four as that was the reason the Surf went.

You know, I'm not even sure I will buy another. You never forget your first.

Really nice to see her in the dirt - was always great in that element.
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by oneidadan View Post
            Excellent thankyou, have you been back there recently?
            No, Don't think I'd have the balls to do stanage edge on my own!
            "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
            www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Working...
            X