When did you first 'do it'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did you first 'do it'

And what was the first part that you broke.

My first experience off road on 4 wheels was in a CJ7, in the early 80's
    The road was a RUPP in Cottered, Hertfordshire.
    There was 4 of us. A Suzuki 410, a Toyota pick up and a Diahatsu something.

The first part that I broke was the driveshaft on the CJ a few weeks later.

We used to be out most weekends and some weeknights. I can't remember anybody getting upset or bothered. We even used to call on the local farmers if we got really stuck.

Good times

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Somalia, in the desert at the age of 13, it was one of my first driving lessons in a Daihatsu Rocky (Fourtrak over here).

Must admit I didn't do any rough terrain driving at the time but it was definitely off road.
    Last edited by Chris W; 29 December 2011, 16:34.

Comment

my first was a 22 ton loading shovel with a 5ltr diesel internatanal harvester engine i loved it
      i blow a few injectors because i was making my own pathway and over loaded it a little
      i finished the path off with a jcb 3cx
      then british rail stoped me going down there
      i was about 11 at the time
      am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Cyprus, in a Maruti (Suzuki) 413 LWB. I've never owned one, but i've always had a lot of respect for them.............Drove it "like I stole it", and nothing broke.............
        " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Technically mine was also in a CJ7 Golden Eagle Jeep, I would be about 7 or 8 sat on my dads lap driving around a disused brickyard. plenty of muddy tracks and a few good hills to drive up.
          My first vehicle was a Jago Geep with 31x10.50's on it...I rebuilt it at 16 and used to rag it around a local farm.
          First big failure was the prop shaft snapped at the rear UJ, boy did I sh!t myself as it smashed its way through the fibre glass/wooden floor of the Geep...
          "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
          www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

aged 15 and broke my virginity
            Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Originally posted by joker?? View Post
              aged 15 and broke my virginity
              It doesn't count if it was with family.

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

A Morris marina coupe, (my first car) I was 17 and I changed the front offside wheel bearing and then put the retaining nut on, spannered it on too hard should have been 7lb.... I did it like a wheel nut, sure enough doing about 60mph down the a55 the next day and poof bang sparks everywhere thought I'd had blow out managed to get the car to the side of the road got out and wooooooooooooooooh the wheel was facing upwards, the sparks where from the underside of the car and sump.. the bearing had seized and the shaft had heated and melted/snapped

lucky to be alive... I've always looked up the correct torque since.

cal
                Bala Mud, best underseal there is, only £30 per application.

www.thecellardwellers.co.uk

Comment

I threw a rod through the side of a supra block at 18, left a hole big enough to get my hand in!
                  More Lift.
                  More Tyres.
                  More Engine.

Comment

Wiped a phone box out in a Ford Zodiac back in the seventies. 6 endorsements, £196 fine and a bill for replacing the phonebox in the region of £1000. Not offroading as we know it but the phonebox wasn`t on the road

Comment

1969. having rolled my dads 3 week old Cortina GT a few times, ended up in a field. So ended a somewhat enthusiastic drive. Some years later had a go in a Range Rover on the Land Rover testing site at the back of the Solihull factory whilst on a driving course. Now that was fun, didnt know that you could get mud as deep!

Spoggle

Comment

Working...
                      X