Ski/Board Clothing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ski/Board Clothing

Not content to cost us a fortune by going to Uni Katie has decided to make things worse by taking up snow boarding ...

She's got a chance to go snow boarding in the French Alps but will obviously need some proper clothing which throws up a minor problem - Jackie and I wouldn't recognise decent ski/board gear if it stood up and bit us ! We've had an eyeball through the usual high streets suspects (Blacks, Millets, Trespass, Oswald Bailey etc) and have seen lots of stuff that purports to be suitable but my natural cynicism is making me a bit twitchy.

The big question is - which (VALUE FOR MONEY !) brands are OK and which brands (Across the entire price spectrum) should be avoided like the plague ?

Cheers !

Life is too important to take seriously !

Give her a couple of grand and let her sort herself out.

Kids buy their own stuff from 16 don't they?

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

If I had a couple of grand spare I wouldn't bother asking you lot how I could do it on the cheap !

And as for using her own money - she's spent it all on surviving the first term at uni ...

Comment

Originally posted by Predictable Bob View Post

If I had a couple of grand spare I wouldn't bother asking you lot how I could do it on the cheap !

And as for using her own money - she's spent it all on surviving the first term at uni ...

Sorry, I meant they buy their own stuff with parent's money.

Problem is Bob, snowboarding has it's own strange fashion thing going on, Us old 'uns haven't a clue.

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Exactly - that's why I'm asking on here cos there's definitely some kids about !

Comment

Hessian is pretty cheap!

And papier mache.
            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Have a wee look at the snowboard asylum, it's a part of the outdoor retailer Ellis Brigham and they usually have the previous seasons clothing/equipment on sale at not bad prices. I bought a new board and boots last year, fortunately I have a mate who works for an outdoor shop in Aviemore so I got the items at trade price and with a staff discount too but it still came to around £400. Ebay is also worth a look for clothes as most of them have only been worn at indoor snowdome's so should be in fairly good nick.

http://www.snowboard-asylum.com/sale.htm

Also worth a look:

http://www.boardwise.com/

Good luck

P.s. A word of caution: Most "snowboard" clothing manufacturers clothing is really only suitable for alpine climates i.e. cold and fairly dry and as such aren't terribly waterproof. If this is only a one off type holiday then should be fine but if she's planning to have a go at snowboarding in this country I would seriously suggest Goretex fabrics which can handle a fair bit of moisture.

Paul
              Last edited by PM0077; 27 December 2011, 17:43.

Comment

This is my local shop, brought my board and boots from them a few years back when I was boarding. Not the cheapest but very helpfull and friendly.

thesnowboardshop

Other than that, the only other shops that I have been to for kit is freespirit when they have had a sale on or TKMaxx as they occasionaly have clearance items in. A lot of the time you will find yourself paying for the brand but then thats true of most sports I guess.
                With jackets one of the most important things to pay attention to is the waterproof rating and wind resistance in my opinion, then the colour and brand. Other things to look for in a jacket would be an elasticated snow skirt to stop snow going up your back or down the crack of your arse when you fall over and insulated pockets for warming hands up. The advice I was given was layers, use multipul layers as oppossed to one heavy jacket. So a compression type top as a base and micro fleece or softshell for a mid and then a jacket.
                For trousers same rules apply really, waterproofing is a must as sitting in the snow tends to feature quiet a lot as a learner and a wet cold backside is not very pleasent.
                Might not hurt to look at pads as well, certainly knees and elbows as falling over is something she will get good at to begin with and most deffinately head protection. I learned at Milton Kenyes indoor and they provided head protection as part of the training so I suspect most ski resorts would probably do the same but it wouldn't hurt to check, so long as wearing a sweaty scabby crash helmet is ok of course.

Can't think of anything else of the top of my head, has been a while since I was last involved with the sport but I don't imagine much has changed. Hope thats in any way helpfull and that your Daughter has a great time.

Comment

Tk maxx is good and also decathlon here's a link to decathlon women's wear http://www.decathlon.co.uk/jackets-p...MAN_12658.html

Comment

Waterproof ratings, breathability.
                    Its fecking cold and you get fecking hot. wicking layer. long sleeve T, fleece and decent coat.
                    As has been said, Snowboarding has it's own fashion. As long as you know what to look for, its then easy to pick the "fashion"

When we kitted ourselves out for skiing a few year ago, the first thing I did was put everything on and then stand in a COLD shower for 10 mins.
                    Not a drop came through and I didn't feel the cold.
                    Needless to say when I hit the alpine slopes, the sun came out, was quite a few degrees above and I got nose sun burn - the coat was wrapped around my waist and my sleeves rolled up.
                    The following holiday we went on a glacier, it was minus 26 and the wind chill would burn your nose off if it could get to it. Other than Tesco's Chilled Distribution Centre, which holds a temp of Minus 40 and freezes your nasal vapour to the hairs on your nose, this was the coldest place I have ever been.

In short, be prepared.
                    Good luck.
                    "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                    www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Cheers guys - lots of info which I'll be chasing down for weeks !

All I need to do now is find a bag of money ...

Comment

As above, TK Maxx for as much as you can, Decathlon for anything else.

Don't bother with the expensive brands, they all rip the same.

If you're worried about the fashion thing, take her into TK Maxx to choose stuff.

I speak with 25 years of skiing and ten years of snowboarding experience....

Comment

buy her string vest and tell her that latest fad for snowboarders ,when she wears it on slope bet she gives it up ,,kerchingggg u save more money
                          Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Adam - you're my new best friend !

All I've got to do now is persuade her ...

Comment

Originally posted by joker?? View Post
                              buy her string vest and tell her that latest fad for snowboarders ,when she wears it on slope bet she gives it up ,,kerchingggg u save more money
                              I wouldn't mind being on the slopes watching if thats all she's wearing..
                              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Working...
                              X