Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CB antenna, Artificial ground plane?

Hi Folks,

I have noticed since I refitted my CB antenna I have pretty much zero reception.

I'm not sure if it is the cable I used, or the place that I mounted it (rear spare, lower rung) or that fact that no one is using CBs locally

Anyway, I remember a post on here saying that CBs needs a proper ground plane, which is why spare mounted ones aren't as good... I was wondering if anyone has used one of these before, and if it makes a difference...

http://www.4x4cb.com/public/item.cfm?itemID=972

I never really use it, but if it is there I like it to work!
    Last edited by Karma Supra; 19 December 2011, 00:00.
    More Lift.
    More Tyres.
    More Engine.

I've got one but haven't got around to wiring up the CB unit to the electrickery yet.

When it arrived in the post there was a note with it asking if I could take a photo of it for their website cos they don't sell very many of them.

Comment

Let us know how you get on!

Funny you should say that, nosing through CB supplier sites I saw a photo of my truck!
      More Lift.
      More Tyres.
      More Engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Karma Supra View Post
        Let us know how you get on!

Funny you should say that, nosing through CB supplier sites I saw a photo of my truck!
        They've actually offered me some vouchers if I take a photo for them to use!

Comment

i was doing exactly the same when i first put my cb in, did you grind away the paint first so it gets better earth?

anyway, i got in touch with the suppliers and he asked, did you read the instructions.. turns out that the UK setting is slightly different, so a quick reset of the cb and thn set it up following the instructions to UK i now get 4-5 miles which is more than enough

mines a tti cb

Comment

Hi Lawsy, I'll be honest I didn't think there was much in the way of setup invovled.. It was fitted by a previous owner I just re fitted it to tidy things up a bit.

It's a Midland 98+ I didn't think there was much to it... I'll get googling!
            More Lift.
            More Tyres.
            More Engine.

Comment

Could you have damaged the antenna cable when you were tidying it up, as lawsy says it needs a good earth as well, has reception changed i.e worse

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Link doesn't work for me.

From what I've read / seen, they aren't really approximating a ground plane at all. They just (sometimes!) improve the matching to the O/P of the Tx, which is skewed off if you don't have a decent real ground plane.

There's no real substitute for a proper ground plane. The radiation pattern of a whip / monopole is partly determined by the ground plane, and it won't be correct without one. An inductive load (the artificial GP) won't do anything for that.
                Last edited by Apache; 19 December 2011, 22:57.
                Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                  Link doesn't work for me.

From what I've read / seen, they aren't really approximating a ground plane at all. They just (sometimes!) improve the matching to the O/P of the Tx, which is skewed off if you don't have a decent real ground plane.

There's no real substitute for a proper ground plane. The radiation pattern of a whip / monopole is partly determined by the ground plane, and it won't be correct without one. An inductive load (the artificial GP) won't do anything for that.
                  I am trying to translate this, I first need to know what language are you talking?
                  Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

I think it is to do with the output power of transmission, but not 100%!

I did however get the gist, and that is that it is probably not that great... so thanks Andy!

I think I'l go on with checking contiunuity of the cable and that it is well earthed, and take it from there.

I suspect that the Ebay cable I got wasn't up to much cop. The original one that the previous owner disintegrated at the plugs, can anyone reccomend a decent supplier cable type to go for? I don't want to spend much, as said above I have enver really used it, but it would be nice to have working.

I have seen some that have their own earth connectors, (I assume to the outer shield bit of the coax) are they likely to improve things?
                    More Lift.
                    More Tyres.
                    More Engine.

Comment

Working...
                    X