External temp Gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External temp Gauge

Hi, I fitted a panel type meter with external temperature probe for measuring the air temp. I can't seem to find a location for the sensor that doesn't at some point get affected by engine heat. It has been fitted to the bottom of the ariel mast, behind the passange side indicator and at the moment it is under the same side foot step.In the locations already tried it picks up the heat either when in traffic of when the truck is moving and the heat is getting drawn under the car. Has anyone fitted anything similar and where did you fit the sensor?

Thanks
    Dazza
    Non consternationes.

factory fit on most cars is behind the front bumper

Comment

I wasn't sure but thats what i thought, so I tried it there but when stationary for a while the reading rises quite a lot.

Thanks
      Non consternationes.

Comment

In the mirror? Take the glass out and mount behind it, run the wire through the hole where the other wires go
        www.apmautos.com

Comment

^ good answer.

I was going to suggest rear offside bumper quarter panel but doubt the leads that long.

Comment

Originally posted by dazandcaz View Post
            I wasn't sure but thats what i thought, so I tried it there but when stationary for a while the reading rises quite a lot.

Thanks
            Was the engine hot?

Comment

Originally posted by bullet513 View Post
              In the mirror? Take the glass out and mount behind it, run the wire through the hole where the other wires go
              That sounds ideal, does the glass come out easily without damaging it?
              Non consternationes.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                Was the engine hot?
                Normal operating temp for a 2.4 (nice n hot!)
                Non consternationes.

Comment

When I fit one I put it between the front door & wing, just bellow the hinge.
                  If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by si tate View Post
                    When I fit one I put it between the front door & wing, just bellow the hinge.
                    Good idea, will try that next before stripping the mirror.

Your truck has just about everything. Next you'll tell me it has a TV, oh wait..
                    Non consternationes.

Comment

Good idea, will try that next before stripping the mirror.

Your truck has just about everything. Next you'll tell me it has a TV, oh wait..
                      You know it has a TV, the temp gauge was actually on a cavalier I had years ago but it worked fine, 3rd gens have a factory gauge above the rear view mirror.
                      If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Normal operating temp for a 2.4 (nice n hot!)
                        Has the penny dropped yet?

Comment

Originally posted by si tate View Post
                          3rd gens have a factory gauge above the rear view mirror.
                          Nice. Well it looks like i'm going to be busy again tomorrow night, the new glow plugs arrived today aswell.

On another note, the weather forecast has just been on and it looks like snow at the end of the week
                          Non consternationes.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                            Has the penny dropped yet?

Yea i know, but i thought i'd try it.
                            Problem is, everywhere else is downwind of the engine. Earlier suggestions sound like good places to try though.
                            Non consternationes.

Comment

Behind one of the sidelights? There should be enough room and it's shielded from the engine compartment.

Comment

Working...
                              X