Drilling holes in glass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drilling holes in glass?

Anyone done it? any tips? drill slow or fast speed etc, i only need holes for screws so it's be 5-6mm, going to buy one of those diamond dust bits for it but $hit scared of cracking the glass, so any ideas apprecieated, ta
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Slow and steady seems to be the recommendation, also start as small as you can (drill bit size) for a pilot hole on one side then increase drill bit size from other side of glass so it won't splinter, shard

http://www.wikihow.com/Drill-Holes-Through-Glass

Comment

Cheer's matey! i particularly like the bit about getting someone to do it for you

Comment

If its toughened glass it will shatter.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sou...BOMCUoLLVpl-7Q
        Last edited by si tate; 9 November 2011, 22:03.
        If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

can you not get a local co to do it for you ??let them take the risk we use cab glass to do all our machines and some of them have holes in the glass.
          they are in borden so not that far from you.
          http://www.cabglassltd.co.uk/OurService.html
          Last edited by b road blaster; 9 November 2011, 22:13.

Comment

Originally posted by b road blaster View Post
            can you not get a local co to do it for you ??let them take the risk we use cab glass to do all our machines and some of them have holes in the glass.
            they are in borden so not that far from you.
            http://www.cabglassltd.co.uk/OurService.html
            Thanks for that, i might just take it over to them, haveing ordered the drill bit i'll try it on a bit of scrap glass first and see how i get on, it's not toughtened safety glass just regular, cheer's

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
              Anyone done it? any tips? drill slow or fast speed etc, i only need holes for screws so it's be 5-6mm, going to buy one of those diamond dust bits for it but $hit scared of cracking the glass, so any ideas apprecieated, ta
              mate... #### easy...

Defo need a diamond bit (£10 - £20) there's no pilot so dont think bits are missing. Drill on drill NOT hammer, hold drill at 45degs to point your drilling (to score surface) TAKE YOUR TIME, and slowly tilt upright to drill through..

only thing ya need to do is keep the bit wet. i.e. drill for 5 secs, then dip it in water for 2 secs, repeat this until your through!
              www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by VidaMusic View Post
                mate... #### easy...

Defo need a diamond bit (£10 - £20) there's no pilot so dont think bits are missing. Drill on drill NOT hammer, hold drill at 45degs to point your drilling (to score surface) TAKE YOUR TIME, and slowly tilt upright to drill through..

only thing ya need to do is keep the bit wet. i.e. drill for 5 secs, then dip it in water for 2 secs, repeat this until your through!
                Thanks for the tip's i will have a go at it, i did look at those and wonder how you got started as there seem'd to be no pilot drill, i could just see it slithering about and buggering up the glass "slow and wet" is the key then
                i did cut some mirror tiles (glass) on a motor tile cutter, ya know the ones with a water trough, went ok, cheer's all for the reply's
                Last edited by POPEYE; 11 November 2011, 09:52.

Comment

Working...
                X