Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New looking for advice

Hello

I have just joined looking for advice, we have an L reg toyota Hilux Surf Diesel Automatic which was imported from Japan. The head gasket recently went on it and we decided to upgrade to a newer vehicle as we use it to tow a horse trailer and often I am on my own. We have been told it will be around £1200 for the head gasket to be sorted. My question is should we be looking to sell the car as is or is it really just got no value left in it with the head gasket gone. It has always otherwise been 100% reliable since we have had it (3 years) and the body work is good, mechanic has also said the underneith is sound.
    Thanks

My first question would be how goods your mechanic, I very much doubt its the head gasket but rather the head itself. £1200 to replace a head gasket is daylight robbery, I would expect to pay in that region for a new head, bolts. gaskets, labour, fitted all in.

If the Surf is as sound as your reliable mechanic says then once its repaired you will have many more happy years from it.

As it stands its worth a few hundred quid, might get more breaking it.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi View Post
      My first question would be how goods your mechanic, I very much doubt its the head gasket but rather the head itself. £1200 to replace a head gasket is daylight robbery, I would expect to pay in that region for a new head, bolts. gaskets, labour, fitted all in.

If the Surf is as sound as your reliable mechanic says then once its repaired you will have many more happy years from it.

As it stands its worth a few hundred quid, might get more breaking it.

As KOI said. If the truck is sound, get the head replaced and carry on surfing.
      My Surf eats knuckles for breakfast!

Comment

Working...
      X