Fuel Treatments / Additives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Treatments / Additives

I was thinking of sticking some Redex or STP into the tank but when looking into the various options came across "Magic Bullet": http://www.bestfueltreatment.co.uk/

Has anyone heard of it or used it? Is it just another snake oil? I'm always suspicious when products are promoted through scaremongering about competitors - in this case those that use "upper cylinder lubrication destroying solvents"!

If it is considered duff what would you recommend - Redex, STP, BG244 etc.?

fuel additaves

Hi there. I used Redex for my petrol multipoint injection engine for the first time recently, and found that it did what it clames to do. The engine feels more responsive and a bit quieter than before, but the bit that I found surprising was the fuel gauge appears to be dropping much slower, and get further on a full tank befor needing to fill up, so think the MPG must have improved alot. Must admit I have not heared of the product you mention, so can not say yay or nay to it, but the price compaired to Redex seems alot of difference for the same claimed results. Good luck if you try it, and hope it works.
    Cheers Stew.........

Comment

µ
      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

I recently used a one by a company called Scott's, my 406 HDi that I have for a daily driver is a bit smokey and failed its MOT on emissions, have to say it did the trick and sailed through after a short run, noticeably less smoke and a good few extra mpg.

The effects however were short lived and after a month it's back to its usual smokey old self, as you say it's a one off treatment and I'm not sure of the effects of long term use so I haven't put any more in.

Comment

I've had good results from Forté - I put a bottle in on every service (every 6k) and yes, while it's working through the truck is faster and seems to use fuel more frugally (offset by the cost of the Forté of course).

Put on to it by Mitsy-owning Jungheinrich fork-lift service lads who use it as a matter of course on that kit.
          Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

I've used the STP fuel additive, and I've gotten a 20% imrovement on fuel efficiency.

It only lasted for a few tanks; it says on the bottle to use every 4,000 miles.

It's expensive @€22 per bottle, so it's about the same as the saving over a tank and a half.

I've seen a lot of people on forums here on about Diptane, which they put in with every fill. Might try it and see what it's like.

Comment

I'd love to see a proper blind test on any of these additives.
              With these sort of things anecdotal accounts ain't really worth the paper they ain't written on.

Comment

I just fill my tank with unleaded and the truck is mega fast now!

Comment

But if you used Magic Bullet you could get "15% more power per unit of fuel". Errr... somehow...

Comment

I add vegetable oil to every tank and get a 10% reduction in power.

Costs me near to feck all though

Comment

+1 for Forte. Seems to do what it says on the bottle and improves mpg for a few tankfuls afterwards.

Comment

Sensible discussion about fuel additives here

Comment

Originally posted by flounderbout View Post
                          Sensible discussion about fuel additives here
                          Although this and other info suggests that fuel additives are not the worst culprits when it comes to unfounded claims, I'll not be bothering with them for two reasons: firstly, I don't think there is anything wrong with the way my engine is running (I was initially intrigued by the claims of improved fuel economy), i.e. if it ain't broke don't fix it; secondly, from what I've read I'd be better off giving the car an occasional 'Italian tune up', i.e. an occasional thrash (obviously after warming up) especially since I have a particularly docile style of driving.

Comment

Originally posted by tavvi View Post
                            Although this and other info suggests that fuel additives are not the worst culprits when it comes to unfounded claims, I'll not be bothering with them for two reasons: firstly, I don't think there is anything wrong with the way my engine is running (I was initially intrigued by the claims of improved fuel economy), i.e. if it ain't broke don't fix it; secondly, from what I've read I'd be better off giving the car an occasional 'Italian tune up', i.e. an occasional thrash (obviously after warming up) especially since I have a particularly docile style of driving.
                            From what I recall the Italian tune up is particularly relevant for old high performance tuned engines (I remember an old mechanic friend who used to love it when a local old boy used to bring his Fezza in for endless services/issues sounding like a dog, and the treatment consisted of taking it out and blatting it for 30 miles, since its normal life was spent sitting doing nothing or cruising round at 20mph... ).
                            Not sure how much the same goes for aging Toyota diesels...

Comment

Originally posted by flounderbout View Post
                              From what I recall the Italian tune up is particularly relevant for old high performance tuned engines (I remember an old mechanic friend who used to love it when a local old boy used to bring his Fezza in for endless services/issues sounding like a dog, and the treatment consisted of taking it out and blatting it for 30 miles, since its normal life was spent sitting doing nothing or cruising round at 20mph... ).
                              Not sure how much the same goes for aging Toyota diesels...
                              From what I've read the term did originate from the corrective treatment doled out to high-performance vehicles driven by OAPs (as you describe) but is now just a euphemism for 'giving it a thrash' which by all accounts can benefit most vehicles but especially those which spend most of their time being driven slowly around town. The info you linked to in your last post says pretty much the same (read the info linked-to from 'Engine "cleaning" products' at the bottom of the page).
                              Last edited by tavvi; 25 October 2011, 16:36.

Comment

Working...
                              X