yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie looking for a help buying a Surf!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie looking for a help buying a Surf!

Hi All,

An introduction from me:

I'm Phil, I live in Bucks, and I'm looking at buying a Surf. I've heard great things about these cars, and have starting looking around for a Generation 2 or 3 model.

I have read the FAQs (very helpful, thanks), and I have one question regarding the cambelt. The model that I currently have my eye on is Generation 2, 3.0l TD SSSRX. How often does the cambelt need to be done?

Are there any other major items (similar to the Cambelt) that need to be replaced at set intervals? (other than standard service items of course).

Thanks,
    Phil.

Phil,welcome to the madhouse.
    A little light on the tacho will tell you when the cam belt needs doing,but if its a 3litre they are only about £10 so do it anyway,as you are new to surfs its best to do a full service,all filters( air,oil and fuel,£10 for the three from Milners),,engine oil,gearbox oil or atf,anti freeze as we are coming up to winter(back flush the rad as well)two diffs and transfer box,13 grease nipples on prop shaft and front suspension/steering,check all shockers for leaks,check front drive shaft rubber boots,renew if torn,fan belts,renew oil in fan if squeaky(see thread for correct oil),check condition of discs and pads,rear shoes,all hoses,not too important with out climate but check aircon,may need regassing,rear window motor can cause problems,easily fixable.CV joint at front can be noisy but it may be the bronze bushs within the stub axle,check all electrical items/switches at least twice to make sure it all works,a new stat and a rad cap wont go amiss,then splatter the underside with waxoyl or similar and enjoy,it should last you years,one of the grown ups will no doubt point out if I have missed any thing off the list,Alan
    Last edited by HONEST AL; 26 October 2011, 12:56.

Comment

To answer your question every 100,000km ( 62,500 miles) and no, not that Im aware of.
      Сви можемо

Comment

Hi - I bought my surf this time last year ( I'm in Wycombe) and I was pretty nervous about it as these forums make you a bit paranoid.

I was convinced that this would happen:
        My rear window motor would stop working
        My head would crack
        My rear heater will not work
        My rear window demister will not work
        My full lock will knock
        My brake light would stick on.

I figured that, in 20 years, much of this would have already occurred and what's the chances of those 'classics' happening to me?

Well they all did. Just finished doing the head change.

I'VE LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT. Things will go wrong as they are old but they are fixable and cheap to maintain. I've learned lots. When I think back to last year when I was so nervous about just changing the oil! There's no stopping me now and I'm off to fit an intercooler next.

IF YOU GET A 2.4 Get one that has a stevo or roughtrax replaced head. If its not been done, expect it to go. Ask to See invoices. When you get it home flush the coolant and refill. Don't let bling tyres or lifts cloud your judgement - its all about the head on a 2.4. They all have rusty bumpers ( fixable) . I'm getting 25 mpg now I have ripped out all the A/C weight and I have a formed a bond with the old thing which is unholy and shal not speak its name.

Comment

Working...
        X