Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie: Confused about road tax for Surf

Hi Everyone,
    I am looking to buy a 3rd gen Surf soon (am going up to Bolton to look at a coupel this weekend hopefully) but I am confused about road tax since these are imports. According to the road tax website (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...le/DG_10012524) the amount of tax paid is £215 if the car was registered before 2001 and lots of money if registered afterwards. My (dumb) question is: What happens if the Surf is, say a 1997 model but imported in 2002? What would the tax be then?

I have surched for this in the forum but couldn't find any wanswer but that may be due to my ineptness in searching - if there is an existing thread please forgive me and point me in the correct direction - Thanks

Adrian
    Living life large!

Hi,

It's based on when the car was manufactured not when it was imported.

Comment

The anser is £215 BUT sod's law says you'll find the numpty that wants to argue ...

Good luck !

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Thanks for the answers - I was hoping that was the case

Looks like it is going to be an early start for Bolton on Saturday then - it is a hell of a long way to go in a Saxo though
        Living life large!

Comment

Originally posted by indaba View Post
          Thanks for the answers - I was hoping that was the case

Looks like it is going to be an early start for Bolton on Saturday then - it is a hell of a long way to go in a Saxo though
          Reading to Maidenhead is a long way to go in a Saxo. Seriously, though, are you getting it from A K Motors? A few on here have bought from him, and he seems fair...........Good luck........Mick.
          " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Originally posted by MWS View Post
            Reading to Maidenhead is a long way to go in a Saxo. Seriously, though, are you getting it from A K Motors? A few on here have bought from him, and he seems fair...........Good luck........Mick.
            Reading to the end of my drive seems long in that car sometimes

Yep we are looking at AK Motors - seems to have a good reputation on here which is why we (myself the wife and most importantly the dog) are travelling up there we hope

Adrian
            Living life large!

Comment

Got my Intercooled surf from them, seem to be very good Dealer. Give my regards to Ken!.

A quick note though, Make sure the body type is classed as an Estate, not a light 4x4 utility in the log book, otherwise you will have to pay £100 a day if you go inside the M25!

All the best,

Tony.

Comment

Originally posted by highgun View Post
                Got my Intercooled surf from them, seem to be very good Dealer. Give my regards to Ken!.

A quick note though, Make sure the body type is classed as an Estate, not a light 4x4 utility in the log book, otherwise you will have to pay £100 a day if you go inside the M25!

All the best,

Tony.
                Tony - ouch!!! Can you get the classification changed - not that I go inside the M25 if I can possibly help it
                Living life large!

Comment

You can, but a lot of people have had trouble and a lot of headache doing so!

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by highgun View Post
                    You can, but a lot of people have had trouble and a lot of headache doing so!

Good luck.
                    Thanks
                    Living life large!

Comment

Tony N never had any trouble. ( Check his thread for details )

http://hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=73274
                      Last edited by Bogus; 13 October 2011, 15:37. Reason: Link added because Im a good guy
                      Сви можемо

Comment

saw that - I might give it a try if/when we get a Surf
                        Living life large!

Comment

Originally posted by indaba View Post
                          Hi Everyone,
                          I am looking to buy a 3rd gen Surf soon (am going up to Bolton to look at a coupel this weekend hopefully) but I am confused about road tax since these are imports. According to the road tax website (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...le/DG_10012524) the amount of tax paid is £215 if the car was registered before 2001 and lots of money if registered afterwards. My (dumb) question is: What happens if the Surf is, say a 1997 model but imported in 2002? What would the tax be then?

I have surched for this in the forum but couldn't find any wanswer but that may be due to my ineptness in searching - if there is an existing thread please forgive me and point me in the correct direction - Thanks

Adrian
                          If the car has already been imported and registered then the tax band has already been established - just look at the disc on the vehicle you're thinking of buying or use the reg number to make an enquiry with DVLA. You may disagree with that tax status - if so, you can take it up with DVLA (and good luck to you if you do). If the car has not yet been imported then make sure it is at least 10 years since date of first registration or it will have to go through an SVA test at point of UK registration - in which case they WILL use the CO2 reading from the model documents (approximately 292 if I remember correctly) when establishing the tax band.

Comment

Working...
                          X