Bone marrow - yum.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bone marrow - yum.

Took myself off to St John bar and restaurant in Farringdon at lunch today having planned a meeting nearby deliberately around lunchtime so I could have their signature dish I've been hankering after for ages

Bone Marrow with toast and parsley salad. Mmmm... Rich but oh, so fecking good.

The place has been going for years and the owner Fergus Henderson is a hero to loads of chefs around the world as he was one of the first to start getting offal and the cheaper cuts of meat onto the table. If you watch him on youtube he is a proper English eccentric and clearly passionate about nose to tail eating.

Price for the meal and a pint £10.30.
    Nice.

recommended if you're in that neck of the woods and like something a bit different http://www.stjohnrestaurant.com/menu/supper/
    Last edited by biosurf; 12 October 2011, 18:47.

He looks cheffy

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Good price...better than my beans on toast, and as for marrow....hmmmmmm love it.

They seem to be very good with the portion size...
      .... Which was nice.

Comment

Good on you for trying that mate, I couldnt stomach it purely for what it is!

Admittedly I am not very adventurous with food, love a good curry but thats about as far out as it gets for me!

Would not swap it for my Frey Bentos pie, chips and mushy peas

Comment

Christ on a bike bio! how the f can you eat that? makes my @rse pucker just looking at it
          Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Hat's off for trying it, I think I would really struggle.
            Brian

Comment

Hehe, when I was a kid, my nan used to save me the bones off the sunday roast so I could suck the marrow out.

Nowt new there Paul
              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

An even cheaper alternative to the bones on toast is Pedigree Chum
                Сви можемо

Comment

My mum used to boil up a pigs head, get all the meat out and sieve the hairs out. Used to make a lovely brawn. The brain was lovely, and the eyeballs made it real nice and moist with their jelly.
                  Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

I remember the stall selling "tripe" at oldham market when i was a kid
                    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
                      My mum used to boil up a pigs head, get all the meat out and sieve the hairs out. Used to make a lovely brawn. The brain was lovely, and the eyeballs made it real nice and moist with their jelly.
                      Potted heid ( or head) used to be common in Scotland , or the north in any case, most butchers made their own, and my old man used to make it. It never appealed to me , but Ive eaten Pig brain in Serbia ( whole pigs head on the table ) with the brain being the cut of choice. Ive had sheeps brain in Dubai, also very tasty
                      Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
                        but Ive eaten Pig brain in Serbia ( whole pigs head on the table ) with the brain being the cut of choice.
                        I hope it had an apple in it's mouth.

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
                          Mmmmmm....lovely.

Sheeps brain with black butter is great. When we where in Budapest street food included Roosters testicles at Xmas market. ###### big they were.
                          .... Which was nice.

Comment

You were lucky...

Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
                            X