Just in case.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just in case.

But if anyone can make out the slight metallic scraping noise in the first video and hypothesise as to what it may be, I'd appreciate it. It's not the AC pump, or the fan hitting the cowling, or the timing belt rubbing.

EDIT - Just noticed how much wind nose the fan causes

Last edited by Albannach; 8 October 2011, 19:50.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

I'm no help at all, but I agree, it does sound something 'top endy'

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Hi Andy,

My 2.4 sounds a bit like that, if I put some pressure
      (lever) on the power steering pump, it stops???

Hope this helps.

Gman.
      If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

Comment

Sorry I'm no help either, Andy, but why is there a reflection of a shark at the bottom of your speedo?
        'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Both the 2.4 and my 3rd gen do make a noise like that but as yet it hasn't developed into anything, I was worried to begin with but the 2nd gen 2.4 did it for 12mths, and didn't get worse and the 3rd gen has done it ever since i got it HTH
          I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Can't really make out a scraping noise from the video fella, there is a metallic ticking noise, my 3 litre does exactly the same, on mine it is more noticeable when cruising.

I've done some checks and found a couple of the valve clearances are slightly too big. Never done anything about it (I believe on these engines the valve clearances close up as the seats recess rather than open up as the cam wears etc) and it's never got any worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpion View Post
              why is there a reflection of a shark at the bottom of your speedo?
              That's Bob, he's for protection purposes.

Comment

Long shot here, Andy; But during the rebuild you said that you had mysteriously lost a washer. How big was it? Could it have got wedged against something moving? Down the back of a pulley, or somewhere? Could it be resting somewhere on, or near the heat shield and be vibrating or rattling.........
                " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                  That's Bob, he's for protection purposes.
                  Bob? that's an unusual name for a shark, Jaw's is the usual one.
                  I'd prefer a porpoise for friend any day.

Gman.
                  If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

Comment

I vote fan belt tension, but really hard to tell without havin ya head 'on the job' so to speak..

Comment

Originally posted by Voodoo-Child View Post
                      I vote fan belt tension,
                      Loose or tight?

Comment

If it's already tight then it needs belts...if its loose then, umm, it's loose!

Comment

Originally posted by MWS View Post
                          Long shot here, Andy; But during the rebuild you said that you had mysteriously lost a washer. How big was it? Could it have got wedged against something moving? Down the back of a pulley, or somewhere? Could it be resting somewhere on, or near the heat shield and be vibrating or rattling.........
                          The washer I lost was from the inlet manifold, it fell down the back of the starter motor.

There were some cracks in the heat shields, I'm thinking that's where the noise may be coming from. But thought I'd ask.

Comment

Hey, Andy how did you get on with that noise? Did you trace it, and was it a broke, or loose heat shield? I appreciate that you've been busy with your truck, an must not have had time to get that Lexus window motor, yet, but if you do find the time, then I'd be very grateful........Cheers.......M ick.

Comment

Originally posted by MWS View Post
                              Hey, Andy how did you get on with that noise? Did you trace it, and was it a broke, or loose heat shield? I appreciate that you've been busy with your truck, an must not have had time to get that Lexus window motor, yet, but if you do find the time, then I'd be very grateful........Cheers.......M ick.
                              Bump, Andy. I see you're on tonight.

Comment

Working...
                              X