How to check cv joints?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to check cv joints?

Hi all. It sounds like one or more of the joints on the front drive shafts are worn on my truck. Is there a way to check them without taking them off so i can order all the parts i need before starting work on it?.
    Thanks
    Dazza
    Last edited by dazandcaz; 8 October 2011, 21:45.
    Non consternationes.

Noises

What does it sound like ?

Comment

I used to drive in circles with steering in full lock each way and you'll get a cluncking noise when i checked my car , I'd imagine the surf is the same.

Comment

I only get the noises in 4wd, i'ts like a clunking/cracking noise when going in anything other than a straight line. When driving it is difficult to tell which side it's from so i was hoping i could check for play etc but am not sure how to.
        Non consternationes.

Comment

if not on mud or snow and driving your surf in 4wd....you cannot turn corners without doing damage. the noises you are hearing are your diffs and transfer box 'winding up' due to no centre diff. our cars in 4wd have all 4 wheels turning at the same speed...this removes the ability of the outer wheels on the turning circle to turn quicker than the inside one and so the inside wheel will jump and skip about as if its being pushed sidewards. I think I have got this right.....defo along the right lines anyway. It'll be covered elsewhere on the site....try a search and see what it brings up...

Comment

Originally posted by Voodoo-Child View Post
            if not on mud or snow and driving your surf in 4wd....you cannot turn corners without doing damage. the noises you are hearing are your diffs and transfer box 'winding up' due to no centre diff. our cars in 4wd have all 4 wheels turning at the same speed...this removes the ability of the outer wheels on the turning circle to turn quicker than the inside one and so the inside wheel will jump and skip about as if its being pushed sidewards. I think I have got this right.....defo along the right lines anyway. It'll be covered elsewhere on the site....try a search and see what it brings up...
            You have that right. Not all four wheels would turn at the same speed, but the two diffs would effectively be joined and turning at the same speed, so it's near as dammit the same thing. It's certainly a very bad idea.

Comment

A surf is going to be difficult to check for worn CV`s as you shouldnt really be doing tight circles in 4wd, to be honest it sounds like the same thing as mine which has just chewed the front diff up. OK under light load but give it some angle and a bit of power and it cracks and bangs?

Drain the Diff oil, if it looks like metallic black paint or any chunks of metal come out it`s bust the teeth off the crown wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by Voodoo-Child View Post
                Yea, i know about not using the 4wd on 'firm' surfaces. I have only ever used it on snow, mud and gravelly surfaces but i still get the noise. What is odd, the noise gets quieter after 4wd has been used for a few mins but doesn't go away. Search function brings up stuff about changing cv boots but i can't find anything about diagnosing worn joints. I have not had to do anything with cv's before so it is a bit of an unknown for me.
                I'ts not currently causing a problem but i'm hoping to sort it before we get a couple of foot of snow
                Non consternationes.

Comment

Originally posted by JD_975 View Post
                  A surf is going to be difficult to check for worn CV`s as you shouldnt really be doing tight circles in 4wd, to be honest it sounds like the same thing as mine which has just chewed the front diff up. OK under light load but give it some angle and a bit of power and it cracks and bangs?

Drain the Diff oil, if it looks like metallic black paint or any chunks of metal come out it`s bust the teeth off the crown wheel.
                  hi, i replaced the diff oil a couple of weeks ago. It just looked like old oil, no chunks or flakes of metal. What caused yours?
                  Non consternationes.

Comment

You could maybe get under the car and grab your front shafts and give them a good old waggle about...there souls be no latitudinal play and some smooth longitudinal movement...but no slopping or slapping about at all.

Comment

If you're getting the clicky noises when turning in 4wd on a loose surface, one of the CV joints (on the noisy side) is gubbed.
                      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by dazandcaz View Post
                        What caused yours?
                        Erm.... in fairness probably me!

Overzealous approach to pulling a very stuck truck out of a very deep hole

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                          If you're getting the clicky noises when turning in 4wd on a loose surface, one of the CV joints (on the noisy side) is gubbed.
                          Is it normally just the outer that fail or are the inner joints just as prone?
                          Non consternationes.

Comment

Working...
                          X