Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• white thing on - terminal?

g'day to ya all,

didn't drive the surf for 4 days. Today i tried crankin it, n it just wont. Nothing except a ka...ka...ka sound everytime i try. Then i notice voltage guage reads around 6v. Opened the hood and there was it, a lot of white powdery/sticky thing on the negative terminal. I tried removing a lot of it but still was under 9v. So i guessed my battery was flat, but what was that white thing?(it was on the right side battery). Why is it there?
    '94 Surf SSR-X --3.0l Turbo-KZN130W -- 400,000KMs

Originally posted by tamrat View Post
    g'day to ya all,

didn't drive the surf for 4 days. Today i tried crankin it, n it just wont. Nothing except a ka...ka...ka sound everytime i try. Then i notice voltage guage reads around 6v. Opened the hood and there was it, a lot of white powdery/sticky thing on the negative terminal. I tried removing a lot of it but still was under 9v. So i guessed my battery was flat, but what was that white thing?(it was on the right side battery). Why is it there?

Maybe it's snow. Some members on here, have been rather looking forward to it...........
    " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

It's an acid buildup. It will be under the terminals and will insulate them. Remove terminals and give them a good clean with hot soapy water. Same with the battery terminals. Rinse off, dry and spray a little WD40 on them and reassemble.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by MWS View Post
        Maybe it's snow. Some members on here, have been rather looking forward to it...........
        i live in a tropical country, we don't get snow here.

Comment

Haven't you heard of global warming? Ever since it started, it's been getting colder...
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
            Rinse off, dry and spray a little WD40 on them and reassemble.
            Nev
            I've heard vaseline is better - must be why most Gen3 owners keep a tub on the back seat.

Comment

What about on the highest peaks of the highlands? You might live there....

Comment

Originally posted by spacast View Post
                I've heard vaseline is better - must be why most Gen3 owners keep a tub on the back seat.
                That's a new one. If your ever up this way I'll dry ride you as I don't have a tub.
                Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                  Haven't you heard of global warming? Ever since it started, it's been getting colder...
                  ya...in italy for example

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
                  What about on the highest peaks of the highlands? You might live there....
                  2000m asl,

bt the surf is still making problems even after i cleaned up the terminals. It doesn't crank at all, even with another battery. Voltage reads around 12 and immedietly after i try crankin it it drops down to around 6v. After a couple of min, same thing. Any suggestions?

Comment

ya...in italy for example

2000m asl,

bt the surf is still making problems even after i cleaned up the terminals. It doesn't crank at all, even with another battery. Voltage reads around 12 and immedietly after i try crankin it it drops down to around 6v. After a couple of min, same thing. Any suggestions?
                    Sounds like dead batteries to me.

Comment

Working...
                    X