MOT Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOT Question

Passed M.O.T, but had an advisory about front brake imbalance.

I am presuming that this is uneven wear on the pads or a sticky caliper (or both)?

Not noticed any pull to either side when braking though, not even if I try braking hard.

Anyone else had this advisory?
    My Surf eats knuckles for breakfast!

Originally posted by Thrifty
    is yours an auto? or manual?
    Now, I will confess, I am a mechanical feckwit with little vehicular knowledge and an ability to confuse a spanner and a screwdriver.

But...

What relevance does the gearing have to a brake advisory?

Comment

Originally posted by biosurf View Post
      Now, I will confess, I am a mechanical feckwit with little vehicular knowledge and an ability to confuse a spanner and a screwdriver.

But...

What relevance does the gearing have to a brake advisory?
      He he he.... Could the inbalance be front to back, Ian? Yours is a 1st gen, right? Does it have an LSPV ? Is it siezed , or in need of adjustment du to your raised suspension? Might be worth checking with your MOT man, and getting him to clarify.......Cheers......Mick .
      " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

It could be as simple as a siezed slider due to dirt/mud getting inside a grease boot.

Comment

the last MOT i had the guy didnt put it on the rolling road coz it was an auto, i also have a manual, which has been on the rolling road tester.
          He didnt test the front brakes on the auto either on the rolling road. instead he took it for a spin using a giroscope type bit of kit, which heavily depended on a spotty 16 year old who was holding it in the passenger side.

hence my question. and the answer being could the tester have been wrong about it? if you cant seem to notice it at all. perhaps he was using a 16 year old spotty youth and a giroscope thingy too?

I wasnt trying to be a smart arse about the question but before i said all that crap i was checking, as its unlikely the rolling road would have been too wrong. but the variability and accuracy of said spotty youth could be put in question.
          seeing as the OP said he couldnt notice it.
          So your actual question was "did he test it on a rolling road?"?

Comment

Originally posted by flounderbout View Post
            So your actual question was "did he test it on a rolling road?"?
            The brake tester is slightly different to a "rolling road", Henry. (You may be confusing it with a dynamometer, or "dyno") The "giroscope thingy" (sic), that our knowlgeable friend refers to, is called a decellerometer. One of those will not give you information on left/right or front/rear imbalance, just how abruptly the vehicle comes from a preordained speed, to a halt.......So, basically, He's still talking "Absolut" nonsense..............

Comment

Originally posted by MWS View Post
              The brake tester is slightly different to a "rolling road", Henry. (You may be confusing it with a dynamometer, or "dyno") The "giroscope thingy" (sic), that our knowlgeable friend refers to, is called a decellerometer. One of those will not give you information on left/right or front/rear imbalance, just how abruptly the vehicle comes from a preordained speed, to a halt.......So, basically, He's still talking "Absolut" nonsense..............
              My point was purely linguistic. I was making no comment whatever on the validity or rationality of the actual question or the real question to which it was apparently supposed, in a rather convoluted way, to lead ....

Comment

Originally posted by flounderbout View Post
                My point was purely linguistic. I was making no comment whatever on the validity or rationality of the actual question or the real question to which it was apparently supposed, in a rather convoluted way, to lead ....

That's easy for you to say.................

Comment

so now your saying for the purposes of MOT, measuring how abruptly your car comes to a stop using said spotty youth and technical looking instrument in box, is acceptable then? I didnt question it at my MOT,but was wondering if the OP had had the same test, perhaps yes i should have been more probing into my questions or better still just shut up as normal advice received retracting all comments above and staying out of it now
                  Using the decellorameter (sp?) and road test is used if the MOT station only has a 2 wheel brake tester and the car being tested is an AWD vehicle and so might leap off the rollers and through the wall or break something expensive if you only put one axle on the roller and then spin them up.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Truck is an Auto.

Not sure what test they did, will confirm with them.

was just going to change calipers and pads + discs.
                    My Surf eats knuckles for breakfast!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                      Using the decellorameter (sp?) and road test is used if the MOT station only has a 2 wheel brake tester and the car being tested is an AWD vehicle and so might leap off the rollers and through the wall or break something expensive if you only put one axle on the roller and then spin them up.

I assume Tony that is, if the vehicle in question is permanent AWD,and has no centre diff??? My Range rover is all wheel drive,but was tested two wheels at a time!!

Can't really see why the Surf could'nt be test in the traditional way!

To come back to the OP's question,in my opinion it's most likely a sticky piston on one of your calipers.

Regards

Mark

Comment

Working...
                      X