question abt wiring an alarm to a horn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question abt wiring an alarm to a horn

hi guys, doin some stuff on the surf today. I have this alarm with its hidious speaker like horn. So instead of the alarm's horn, i wanted to use the surf's horn. I cut the wire from the alarm and hooked it up to the horn directly. Then when I lock the car via remote it honks a single time, when i unlock it, it honks twice (exactly what i wanted). But when the intruder/impact alarm comes on the car honks without stoppin for abt 20secs and the it stops (this i didnt like). I wanted it to peep-peep-peep, u know with an interval, like the indicator lights. How do i do this?
    '94 Surf SSR-X --3.0l Turbo-KZN130W -- 400,000KMs

The obvious question would be why not use the original alarm horn?
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
      The obvious question would be why not use the original alarm horn?
      cuz the original one sounds borning. I like my surf's horn. Any advice on how to hook it up to the horn wud be great.

Comment

Originally posted by tamrat View Post
        cuz the original one sounds borning. I like my surf's horn. Any advice on how to hook it up to the horn wud be great.
        I quite fancy doing that to mine, if you suss it out can you let us know.
        If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

What happens when you put 12v across the original alarm horn?
          Is the tone constant or pulsing?
          Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

What happens when you put 12v across the original alarm horn?
            Is the tone constant or pulsing?
            i guess i shuda have told u that one earlier. The alarm's horn is a constant one. I think the horn constantly gets 12v for sometime, 20sec may be. I think i need some kinda power interupter. Problem is this will have an effect on the opening doors and closing door sounds.
            i have seen the same thing on a 2000 land cruiser gx, thoug that was a factory one, even the high beam headlights flash on that one.

Comment

i guess i shuda have told u that one earlier. The alarm's horn is a constant one. I think the horn constantly gets 12v for sometime, 20sec may be. I think i need some kinda power interupter. Problem is this will have an effect on the opening doors and closing door sounds.
              i have seen the same thing on a 2000 land cruiser gx, thoug that was a factory one, even the high beam headlights flash on that one.
              I would suggest that to do that with your alarm you are gonna need a shed load of relays

however it might be worth experimenting with a/your turn signal relay if that gets the on off tone you want then happy days.
              Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Or unplug the old alarm horn and fit a secondhand one like the surf horn.
                .... Which was nice.

Comment

however it might be worth experimenting with a/your turn signal relay if that gets the on off tone you want then happy days.
                  ya, i was thinking the same thing. I will try it n will tell u my progress.

Comment

just saw this pic. He tried it and worked fine except for the sound that comes when u lock/unlock the door. My q here, can i remove the relay and install only the flasher? Does this have an effect on my horn, like damage it cuz there is no relay?.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by tamrat; 1 October 2011, 16:07.

Comment

Alarm Horn

The original alarm horn may be the low voltage piezo type as fitted to house burglar alarms,buy a "Sound Bomb" from your local alarm stockist and try that,you wont want to use the surf horn after you hear the noise the sound bomb makes!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X