central heating oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• central heating oil

Does anyone know whether you can run a surf on central heating oil? Its not so different from vegetable oil and its only 20p a litre

20p per litre, hmmm, that would help.....

Anyone?
    I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jonah
      20p per litre, hmmm, that would help.....

Anyone?
      I think your signiture says it all : Smoke , rattle and roll

Rick
      Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Yeah, should be able to run it no probs but there are one or two things to do/consider :

1. HM customs and Excise will not be happy
        2. You need to put 1 litre of engine oil into about 5 gallons of heating oil to lub the pump.
        3. Can be a bit smelly so everyone will know you are doing it.
        4. Best to mix half diesel and half heating oil

Comment

Isn't Kerosene (which is what it is) a bit thin?
          [color=darkorange]
          [font=Comic Sans MS][size=3]Nick
          1994 3L Turbo. Manual. SSR-X Limited[/size][/font]
          [/color]

Comment

Originally posted by malum
            Isn't Kerosene (which is what it is) a bit thin?
            I think he is talking about heavy heating oil which is basically DERV with a dye added. The sort of thing that is used in office boilers.

Kerosene (basically Parafin to all intents and purposes) would definately be a no no for running a diesel car on. You can however run a petrol motor on it by tweaking the timing a bit and changing to different spark plugs. Did it once on an Austin A60 running Champion Lawnmower plugs.

Cheers

Comment

central heating oil is kerosene - thats what most of us lot 'out in the sticks' here in Aberdeenshire run our heating/hot water boilers on in our houses,
              defintely says kerosenes on the invoices i have got when the tank has been filled
              Landcruiser Colorado
              Sub. Forester

Comment

Originally posted by andycook
                central heating oil is kerosene - thats what most of us lot 'out in the sticks' here in Aberdeenshire run our heating/hot water boilers on in our houses,
                defintely says kerosenes on the invoices i have got when the tank has been filled
                I think there is a difference between domestic heating oil and heavy heating oil used in office and industrial heating - a mate used to run his diesel landrover on heating oil from an office.

Cheers

Comment

i always thought it was the same as red diesel... and a little known fact about that is that they add some kind of doggy scent to it to turn the sniffer dogs on at the docks so they can nab ya!... when i worked at A-Plant my mates dog was always trying to hump my overalls.... so must be some truth or his dog was a pervert!
                  nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
                    i always thought it was the same as red diesel... and a little known fact about that is that they add some kind of doggy scent to it to turn the sniffer dogs on at the docks so they can nab ya!... when i worked at A-Plant my mates dog was always trying to hump my overalls.... so must be some truth or his dog was a pervert!
                    Lucky you weren't wearing your Slug outfit .

Rick
                    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Is the rumour true, he was only wearing that outfit because he heard gardeners were leaving out beer for the slugs ?
                      Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

It can be either Kerosene or Derv depending on the boiler. Almost all domestic heating runs on Kerosene though.
                        There's nothing to stop you buying a tank and having them come and fill it with Derv (heavy oil) though (even if you are on the gas )
                        Of course you then run the risk of being caught with the red stuff in your tank.
                        [color=darkorange]
                        [font=Comic Sans MS][size=3]Nick
                        1994 3L Turbo. Manual. SSR-X Limited[/size][/font]
                        [/color]

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev
                          Is the rumour true, he was only wearing that outfit because he heard gardeners were leaving out beer for the slugs ?

Nope - coz he was camoing at my place and everyone knows I use the little prickly folk to keep down the slugs, not beer!!!
                          Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev
                            Sorry, who was leaving beer out, where are they, and why wasn't I informed???
                            Paul </Slugsie>
                            Immortal.so far!

Comment

Kerosene is classed as 28 sec heating oil and is a lot thinner than the 35 sec oil which is diesel. Most heating systems out in the sticks use the 28 sec oil because its a little cheaper and runs more enviromentally friendly.
                              I always work better wet .

Its why I became a plumber!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X