Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Predictable Bob View Post
    For the avoidance of doubt ...

IMHO the ONLY reason for having the 3.0 diesel instead of the 2.7 petrol is if you're intending to tow heavy trailers !
    Or have access to cheap oil.

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

For the avoidance of doubt ...

IMHO the ONLY reason for having the 3.0 diesel instead of the 2.7 petrol is if you're intending to tow heavy trailers !

What difference does that make?

I pull our 1560kg caravan with the 2.7 no problem, and I don't need a extra ATF cooler.

Comment

Romania.
        Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
          Why the obsession with river crossings????

The 2.7 petrol can wade the same as the diesel, otherwise Toyota wouldn't have bothered fitting a front diff.
          If you feel the need to go deeper than headlight height through water, then it doesn't matter what fuel the engine runs on as you won't have any traction anyway, you'll be floating!
          No you won't. I've had it up to the windscreen across a long ford and kept traction quite happily.

Comment

question here guys: how does a 94 3.0TD surf SSR-X go into 4WD mode? when i push that little button on the 4wd lever, sometimes 4WD lights up on the dash and sometimes it doesnt.
            '94 Surf SSR-X --3.0l Turbo-KZN130W -- 400,000KMs

Comment

Originally posted by biosurf View Post
              No you won't. I've had it up to the windscreen across a long ford and kept traction quite happily.
              Really?
              Every day?

Comment

The only problem I've found with switching in and out of 4WD is when it hasn't been used for a while ...

like mine - it doesn't 4wd - what a surprise

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                  What difference does that make?

I pull our 1560kg caravan with the 2.7 no problem, and I don't need a extra ATF cooler.

Apologies Vince, ages ago I asked about the performance of the 2.7 towing compared with the 3.0 intercooler and nobody stuck their head above the parapet - my assumption was that either it wasn't as good or nobody was sure ...

<Thread Hijack ON>

So what's the fuel consumption like with your van on the back, how is she pulling away from a standing start and what sort of speed can you maintain on long steep hills ?

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Originally posted by gary-r View Post
                    like mine - it doesn't 4wd - what a surprise

Mine does 4WD fine - just takes a little while to switch in and it switches faster the more it's used

Comment

Mine does 4WD fine - just takes a little while to switch in and it switches faster the more it's used

solenoid's died on mine

after being in vinces 3rd gen and driving mine on stink juice id have to go for the 2.7 petrol as a daily driver.

its just a better truck for day to day use.

Comment

Apologies Vince, ages ago I asked about the performance of the 2.7 towing compared with the 3.0 intercooler and nobody stuck their head above the parapet - my assumption was that either it wasn't as good or nobody was sure ...

<Thread Hijack ON>

So what's the fuel consumption like with your van on the back,
                        No idea, haven't worked it out, but then I don't commute in it so I can't make a comparison.
                        how is she pulling away from a standing start and what sort of speed can you maintain on long steep hills ?
                        I don't hold anybody up if that helps.

I'm assuming you're asking to see if the diesels are more superior in some way?

Comment

I can understand that thought process BUT I was actually trying to find out if the petrol was better for towing !

Our oil burner's a little tatty and Jackie was talking about buying another one at some point but there's a dearth of newer intercoolers so I was interested in checking out the alternatives. It doesn't really do a lot of mileage - mainly short trips around town but I'd accept the poor urban petrol consumption if it performed better towing

Comment

Thats something I can't comment on either as I've never towed with the 3.0 diesel.
                            The diesel provides more torque, which is what you want for towing and can run on cooking oil, but the petrol developes more bhp, gives better mpg on a run and petrol is cheaper.
                            It's swings and round-a-bouts as they say.

Comment

Working...
                            X