Petrol/Diesel Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petrol/Diesel Advice

Hi guys, looking for a little advice. Over the years i have had a number of 4x4s. Shogun, X5, jeep cherokee Disco td5 and the best of them all, the Toyota Prado. At present i drive a merc estate.
    With the winter last year i was pretty much screwed and i intend to buy something for this years winter when i will garage the merc.
    My intention is another toyota. As the prado/colorado seem to comand higher prices than the Surf for what is much the same vehicle, it makes sense to source a decent surf if i can. (less than 100000 miles)
    I have a budget of up to £3000. I have noticed, i can get a 2nd Gen 3.0TD 1994/1995.
    A 3rd Gen 1996 2.7 petrol also comes in on budget.
    My question is what are the views/benefits of one over the other or for that matter, the pitfalls.
    Is there a vast difference in fuel costs ?

For what i require it for, performance is not an issue but not being mechanic minded, reliabillity is lol.

Opinions or advice would be much appreciated.

Jim

Welcome, with todays cost of diesel I seem to recall theres not a lot of difference, one of the guys who have owned both will be along soon
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

Yeah, i know the cost of the fuel, petrol v diesel is a bit different.
      I was referring more to the mpg difference of the petrol 2.7 and the 3.0 td.
      What about servicing costs/intervals between the two ?
      Which engine is most reliable?
      What benefits one over the other?
      Lots of questions i know, but forums like these that are full of enthusiasts has to be the place to ask

Not intending any offroading as such, so no river crossings to effect the petrol engines

Jim

Comment

Both engines supposed to be reliable if serviced properly.

Diesel gives ~ 30 mpg on a run, less if on fatter tyres and lifted.

Petrol is supposed to be a little better.

All the petrols I've seen on ebay had the 2nd gen 4wd system, so not good for using 4wd on tarmac or any other surfaces where decent traction is available (no centre-diff on this setup, IIRC).
        Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

Originally posted by J i m s t e r View Post
          so not good for using 4wd on tarmac or any other surfaces where decent traction is available (no centre-diff on this setup, IIRC).
          So for reasons OTHER than using more fuel cos you like filling up, what are the benefits of using 4WD where traction is good?

I've owned both.

Petrol is nicer in every respect*

*unless you plan on deep water fording where the diesel will do it with very little prep, whereas most petrol engines need planty of prep.

Oh, and almost forgot - a diesel will be cheaper to run if you have a source of waste veg oil.
          Last edited by Apache; 28 September 2011, 12:16.
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

[QUOTE All the petrols I've seen on ebay had the 2nd gen 4wd system, so not good for using 4wd on tarmac or any other surfaces where decent traction is available (no centre-diff on this setup, IIRC).[/QUOTE]

Thats a good point.
            A 3rd Gen would be my choice if i can source one at the right price although i have seen some nice 2nd gen ones.

I live out in the sticks and have an 8 mile journey on a B class road before reaching civilisation . When we get a good fall of snow, it can be lunchtime before the roads dept. get to it hence looking for a 4x4 for winter months. After the B class road, i have another 10 miles on A class road which is generally cleared but retains some snow patches from drifting etc.
            Does the 3rd gen model allow for 4xWD throughout that journey ?
            If 2nd Gen, do i have to switch between the 4 and 2 drive or is there a mod to compensate ?

Comment

The only reason I run an oil burner is cos I tow a 1500kg caravan with the Surf loaded - I've no idea whether the 2.7 petrol would do the job as well.

The 3rd gen will run in 4WD on tarmac but you'd have to switch the 2nd gen into 2WD as soon as you get off the slippery stuff

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Not petrol bashing, far from it. The Surf I got was from a member here and just happened to be the usual 3.0D. The 4wd was good in the Winter for my commute which was tarmac alternating from fully gritted, to ruts in snow with grip, to stretches completely covered in compacted snow/ice. I didn't take it out of 4wd for about a month.

With the 2nd gen system, I believe correct use dictates I'd have to keep coming out of 4wd every time I was on an area that had grip. As the transfer from 2wd to 4wd is often a bit sketchy on 3rd gens (a known issue), and traction was essential, leaving it on was great.

And I hate that flashing orange light.
                Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

Before the winter comes I usually do lots of thumb exercises.

Pushing that little button to go to 4wd and out again can get strenuous.

Why do the Japs use such strong springs? Or does the Ju-Jitsu build up their thumbs.

Also, why does it have a 'b' in it?

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

The only problem I've found with switching in and out of 4WD is when it hasn't been used for a while ...

Comment

Originally posted by J i m s t e r View Post
                      As the transfer from 2wd to 4wd is often a bit sketchy on 3rd gens (a known issue), and traction was essential, leaving it on was great.

And I hate that flashing orange light.
                      Known issue ?
                      How common a problem is it ?

Comment

Originally posted by Barnock View Post
                        Known issue ?
                        How common a problem is it ?
                        Not really, I have 3 or 4 a year to do. Most are only hassle cos someone has dived in and buggered the solenoid timing up by taking it all apart, its normally just a duff limit switch on the front diff or solenoid.

A part time truck like a 2nd gen is fine in 4wd on slushy roads, and like Slobby said, its not like its hard work to shift out of 4wd and into 2wd if the road clears. You can do it up to 50mph at the flick of a switch.

But a Multimode 3rd Gen is far better. Vince's petrol truck is multimode, as are others, and I've seen plently of part time 4wd diesel 3rd Gens.
                        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys.
                          From what i can gather by reading various posts on the forum, it would seem that choice of 2.7 petrol or 3.0td is down to the individual (most things are) and are equally reliable unless driving through rivers.

As to 2nd gen or 3rd gen, i am still a bit undecided. My budget seems to put me in a late 2nd or early 3rd gen. Suppose it will depend on what catches my eye most.
                          I have to say i like the spare wheel on the back but don't like the ones that have the drop down tailgates. Decisions decisions

Comment

Why the obsession with river crossings????

The 2.7 petrol can wade the same as the diesel, otherwise Toyota wouldn't have bothered fitting a front diff.
                            If you feel the need to go deeper than headlight height through water, then it doesn't matter what fuel the engine runs on as you won't have any traction anyway, you'll be floating!

Comment

For the avoidance of doubt ...

IMHO the ONLY reason for having the 3.0 diesel instead of the 2.7 petrol is if you're intending to tow heavy trailers !

Comment

Working...
                              X