Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a few questions

I have a few questions for you all..

1, I have started to take the rather nasty "surf Stickers" off the sides. after trying a hair drier that did work i found that by using a steamer with a small nosel it not only got the stickers off it took the glue as weel. The problem i have is that there seems to be ridge around where i have removed the first piece. The paint work underneath where the sticker was is immaculate. The ridge is about 1/2 a mil high( well it feels that much ) . Will T cut shift this or was this designed to hold the sticker????

2. After filling my wash bottle today for the second time. I have no front washers. The rear wash works. As far as i know the Front wipers and the washers run of the same fuse. the wipers are working so its not that. If the pump or motor has gone, is that expensive. I have no mechanical ability and would not be able to repair or change anything.

If anybody hs any ideas, i would be very greatful

Cheers

You will ned to use a heavy cutting compound such as g3 by farcela. its a lot stronger than T-cut (whis is pants IMO) and best used with a power polisher(hired one for a tenner)

You will not get rid od the ridge fully, but it will lessen the effect.

You can only see the ridge on mine when your right up close.

It took me 2 days to cut and polish mine.

As for the washers, can you here the motor?
    Charlie Don't Surf..http://static.photobox.co.uk/public/...10805138.s.jpg

Comment

I advise caution with the power polisher. In untrained hands you can end up burning or cutting right throught the paint. Use the G3 cutting paste, as it is good, but by hand in small circular motions, and finish with T-cut, then polish well with a good polish. I used to use Auto-Glym, Now I just dont clean mine!!
      I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

APPLY G3 with a damp cloth around £10 for a litre its also good for those branch scrathes, dont apply it like polish as its thick so use sparingly at first
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

Where can you buy G3 from? Need some to remove the residue of the wind deflector pads
          I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jonah
            Where can you buy G3 from? Need some to remove the residue of the wind deflector pads
            I got mine from my local motor factors. Its expensive though.

13 quid for a 400g tube.

Or screwfix do it cheap.
            clicky

Comment

Any car paint supplier. Look in your yellow pages for them
              I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

Thanks I'll give it a go!

Want to get her nice and shiny before I get nice and muddy again!
                I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death

Comment

Originally posted by Alun
                  You will ned to use a heavy cutting compound such as g3 by farcela. its a lot stronger than T-cut (whis is pants IMO) and best used with a power polisher(hired one for a tenner)

You will not get rid od the ridge fully, but it will lessen the effect.

You can only see the ridge on mine when your right up close.

It took me 2 days to cut and polish mine.

As for the washers, can you here the motor?
                  If you are going to use a cutting compound I recommend that you pour some t-cut or autoglym paint restorer on top of the compound and dip the cloth in it and the compound so you get a mix, makes the compund a little less agressive and also easier to use.

NEVER use cutting compund neat on a power polisher, you will cook the paint in seconds.

Cheers

Comment

thanks for that, i will give it ago

Comment

I got mine from my local motor factors. Its expensive though.

13 quid for a 400g tube.

Or screwfix do it cheap.
                      clicky
                      I hate to tell you this but 13 quid for a 400g tube? Someone is making a serious profit here. I get mine from a friend in the trade who uses one of those cash n carry places at £5 for a 1kg Tub.

Might be worth asking your local body shop.

Andy
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
                        If you are going to use a cutting compound I recommend that you pour some t-cut or autoglym paint restorer on top of the compound and dip the cloth in it and the compound so you get a mix, makes the compund a little less agressive and also easier to use.

NEVER use cutting compund neat on a power polisher, you will cook the paint in seconds.

Cheers

Not if you use it wet, as you are supposed to.
                        And keep the power polisher below 2000rpm
                        I had absolutely no bother with paint burning, getting down to primer etc.

You do have to treat it with respect though.

And it makes a god awful mess, white splatters everywhere!!

Comment

Not if you use it wet, as you are supposed to.
                          And keep the power polisher below 2000rpm
                          I had absolutely no bother with paint burning, getting down to primer etc.

You do have to treat it with respect though.

And it makes a god awful mess, white splatters everywhere!!
                          Thats why I said don't use it neat, I have never used G3 but other compounds you use neat for getting rid of overspray / paint slumping / orange peel. If you use them on a polisher (mine isn't adjustable) then you might as well use sandpaper.

Cheers

Comment

You sure you've got a polisher and not a 9" grinder with a polishing head on it. They look identical.

(sarcasm is the lowest form of wit)
                            I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

Originally posted by Danno
                              You sure you've got a polisher and not a 9" grinder with a polishing head on it. They look identical.

(sarcasm is the lowest form of wit)
                              Damn, thought I could get away with a J Cloth over my Angle grinder.

Sarcasm might be the lowest form of wit, but it is funny.

Comment

Working...
                              X