No announcement yet.

Check this bad boy out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surely cavitation is only likely in the pump? Why would it happen in the head cooling channels?
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
      Interesting question, a generator engineer friend of mine has mentioned cavitation causing some failures in some of his engines,but I can't remember if it was cylinder heads or cylinder bores.He said on his older engines he liked to run demin water/glycol only,and with more glycol than reqd.ie if it needed 50/50 he would run 30 demin water 70 glycol.

Isn't cavitation usually a pitting, or erosion found on items such as maritime propellers, or the vanes on water pumps (something to do with the dynamics of the "swirl" characteristics) ? .....I spoke to someone, some time ago, who suggested that a lot of "grey imports " got cracked heads due to the change in the quality of the fuel when they come here. our fuel being a higher octane, and producing higher combustion temperatures..........Maybe someone with more knowlege than I, could comment................
      " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
        Surely cavitation is only likely in the pump? Why would it happen in the head cooling channels?
        In my VERY limited knowledge of water dynamics , I would agree with you with regards to the pump,I have seen pump blades pitted and broken due to water cavitation,and have seldom had the chance to look down/inside cooling chambers on a cylinder head.
        But I think demin water would still be better than malvern spring water.
        Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by MWS View Post
          I spoke to someone, some time ago, who suggested that a lot of "grey imports " got cracked heads due to the change in the quality of the fuel when they come here. our fuel being a higher octane, and producing higher combustion temperatures..........Maybe someone with more knowlege than I, could comment................
          Possible,but I've had two heads crack,one on a 2.4 Hi-ace and this 4 Runner,obviously neither of them ever run on Japanese fuel.

Incidently,my head suffured virtually an identical crack,IE between the valve and swirl chamber,but pot 3 IIRC.

Comment

Working...
          X